Directorate/Cluster: Resource mobilisation and innovation
Unit/Team: Institutional funding
Grade and Salary: Grade E
Contract Type: Permanent
Budget Holder: No
Reports to (incl matrix reporting): Head of Institutional Funding
Direct Reports: EU Proposal Coordinator, EU Grants and Compliance Coordinator
Operational Remit: Global
DBS (CRB)/Police Check: No
The EU Partnership Manager leads our work to grow and manage institutional income from EU Development Aid (DEVCO and EU Delegations). The EU Partnership Manager will act and represent on behalf of ActionAid in strengthening our positioning, relationships and strategic engagement with the EU DEVCO to increase income and influence for ActionAid development programmes. This includes EU fundraising and engagement strategy development and implementation, external representation and relationship management,new business development, donor account management, oversight of the EU grant portfolio, coordination of our EU fundraising approach across the federation, and strengthening people skills in EU fundraising, donor relations and grant management.
Areas of Responsibilities
1. Strategic Leadership & People Management
- Ensure adherence and delivery of AAI Talent Management for respective Directorate including recruitment, selection, retention, development and succession planning;
- Conduct probation, performance management according to HR timelines ensuring high performing staff;
- Functional and general management contribution to the senior leadership team taking a whole GS and Federation perspective. This role is a senior management role within the Institutional Funding Team (IFT), and contribution to and leading on general cross-cutting team priorities/management will be required at times, as well as occassional deputising for the Head role;
- Develop a team culture that values collaboration internally, cross functionally and in partnership with countries.
2. AAI Values Practice & Strategy Change Priorities
- Leading Innovation and Change: Establish a culture of excellence in respective team that values experimentation and continuous improvement;
- Feminist Leadership: Championing feminist leadership principles and values including commitment to diversity and inclusion (race, gender, power);
- AAI Values Practice: Ensure personal and team culture that demonstrates all of AAI values including: Mutual Respect, Equity and Justice, Integrity, Solidarity with People Living in Poverty and Exclusion, Courage of Conviction, Independence and Humility.
3. Delivery on Strategic Priorities (Directorate/Cluster-specific - maximum 5 KPIs)
1. EU funding strategy and new business development
- Develop and implement an EU external engagement and funding strategy - set strategic priorities aiming to grow income and influence with the EU on behalf of the Federation;
- Set and monitor indicators of success for strategy including GS and member fundraising targets;
- Provide strategic advice and support to the EU affiliates and country offices in the development of their long-term strategy for engagement with EuropeAid and EU Delegations;
- Monitor and analyse EU funding trends, priorities, policies and guidelines and how they align with ActionAid’s strategic priorities;
- Seek early information and intelligence about forthcoming initiatives and priorities and follow new EU funding opportunities and aid modalities;
- Coordination and advice on ActionAid’s approach to other EU stream strategies, such as ECHO.
2. Relationship building and external representation
- Establish and manage good relationships between ActionAid and EU officials (DEVCO, NEAR, other DGs and EU Delegations) in order to position ActionAid as leading development actor;
- Support Global Secretariat and ActionAid members by facilitating engagement, contacts and communications between ActionAid and the EU to leverage ActionAid influence and funding opportunities;
- Represent ActionAid in relevant donor and civil society fora in Brussels to cultivate strategic alliances with like-minded NGOs and other actors present in Brussels;
- Represent ActionAid and actively engage in the Concord HUB3 (Promoting civil society and funding) and where appropriate seek a steering group membership;
- Work within ActionAid Brussels team to coordinate ActionAid’s engagement with the EU on strategy, policy and partnerships.
3. Donor account management
- Ensure there are effective systems in place to monitor performance against defined EU fundraising and grant management indicators, communicating progress with the Federation/leadership, identifying risks and suggest mitigation strategies;
- Establish coordination mechanisms for the global EU funding opportunities and provide oversight of federation operational protocols for managing internal processes for selection of lead applicants for EU funding;
- Qualify and coordinate EU global funding opportunities, working with wider business development structures in the team and outside;
- Alongside Grants Compliance & Assurance Lead, develop business processes, policies, operational guidelines to facilitate better management and accountability of EU funding and grant management;
- Keep abreast of EU funding and grant management rules, eligibility criteria, compliance issues and regulations, proactively share these insights across the EU funding community and provide ad-hoc technical advice on these as requested.
4. Capacity building
- Facilitate strengthening of EU fundraising and grant management skills at country and GS level through developing EU fundraising, inception and grant management training modules, guidelines and tools and staff mentoring and coaching schemes;
- Whenever appropriate for highly strategic or large and complex EU grants, provide direct support to countries such as EU strategy advice or facilitation of inception workshops.
5. Knowledge Management, Communication and Learning
- Establish effective communication mechanisms within ActionAid on the EU funding and facilitate peer sharing of skills, best practice and consistency of approaches across ActionAid EU funding community as well as through the wider Fundraising Community of Practice;
- Keep abreast of EU funding and grant management trends and rules, eligibility criteria, compliance issues and regulations, proactively share these insights across the EU and wider funding community and provide ad-hoc technical advice on these as requested;
- Support effective knowledge management through the continual review of the EU Funding intranet spaces to ensure resources are accessible and up to date;
- Contribute to the contract management system processes and other institutional funding priorities and projects as a subject matter expert.
Education, Language & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level;
- English Language Proficiency.
Essential Knowledge, skills and Experience
- Significant proven senior-level experience in an EU institutional funding role;
- Demonstrated experience of raising significant funds from the EU;
- Strong working knowledge, experience and track record of success with EU DEVCO;
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of EU funding policies, regulations, programming and grant management requirements;
- Proven experience of leading on an organisational funding strategy for an institutional donor;
- Demonstrable experience of creating relationships and networks with a donor like EU DEVCO;
- Ability to analyse the donor environment and identify the trends, anticipate changes, be comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable way;
- Demonstrated experience of building the capacity of others on working with institutional donors, including designing and coordinating successful trainings, peer to peer support, coaching and mentoring programmes;
- The ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation, and to spot and create opportunities to influence the donor effectively;
- Ability to effectively empower and enable others to deliver federation goals;
- Ready to be held to account, and ability to hold others to account in a consistent and respectful manner;
- Ability to work in a multicultural context/environment and building relationships of trust with colleagues from different countries, engage in social justice activism/advocacy and demonstrate innovative practices;
- A strong commitment to develop, promote and practice AAI’s vision, mission, values, and strategy.
Desirable Knowledge, skills and Experience
- Knowledge of French, Spanish or Portuguese;
- Existing relationship and networks with EU staff and CSOs present in Brussels.
- Strategic Perspective: Demonstrate alignment of the Organisation’s strategic priorities and goals;
- Change Management: Uses effective strategies to facilitate organisation change initiatives and overcome resistance to change by involving others, listening and building commitment;
- Decisiveness and Agility: Prefers quick and appropriate actions in many management situations, able to adapt and respond to fast changing eco system/environment.
- Leading Teams: Attracts, motivates, and develops high performing teams;
- Building Collaborative Relationships: Builds productive working relationships with co-workers and external parties, whilst valuing diversity (gender, race, culture);
- Communication: Expresses ideas clearly and concisely; disseminates information about decisions and plans proactively.
- Leading with Purpose and Credibility: Acts in accordance with stated values; has strong commitment to develop, promote and practice AAI’s values;
- Innovation and Taking Initiative: Takes charge and proactively seeks new ideas, experiments with new processes/practices that capitalizes on opportunities.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org