The iDeas Lab, the award-winning creative and digital production department at CSIS, seeks a highly motivated and creative web developer to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment to start immediately.
The iDeas Lab enhances CSIS's policy research and analysis with the latest in web development, design, and video. You can see some of our latest at https://www.csis.org/programs/dracopoulos-ideas-lab or https://www.github.com/CSIS-iLab. The iDeas Lab is a creative environment composed of developers, designers, and video producers who are eager to bring information to life on the web. We work with some of the most respected foreign policy experts and researchers.
The associate developer will partner with our experts and the department on a range of projects covering the spectrum of CSIS’ issue areas. The core of this position is to create websites, visualizations, and interactive features for policy audiences. The ideal candidate has excellent technical and communication skills, and brings a passion for bridging the intersection between design, technology, and public policy.
The successful candidate will be eager to improve their skills and contribute to CSIS’s vision of telling dynamic knowledge-driven public policy stories. You’ll be asked to
• Maintain and improve current websites and projects;
• Create new websites, interactive data visualizations, and tools that explain and enhances our research in engaging ways;
• Improve your current knowledge, but also stay current with the latest trends in web development and design;
• Notice what we’re not doing but should be, and do it.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Develop, implement, and learn new methods of creating interactive tools, visualizations, and maps;
• Create custom websites and functionalities, using code, not just plugins;
• Write smart, well-documented code and turn designs into code;
• Handle projects from start to finish, project representation and excellent communication skills are important aspects of this role;
• Work closely with research programs and department staff to develop digital projects to suit stated goals and needs; communicating effectively with non-technical stakeholders is critical;
• Other duties and projects as needed
• B.A./B.S/A.B. in relevant field or other relevant experience, including bootcamp training or freelance work;
• Knowledge and experience in applicable software and computer applications (see more below);
• Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills; including effectively presenting information to non-technical partners, operating in a fast-paced environment and managing competing priorities;
• Strong attention to detail, initiative, and follow through skills;
• A passion for global affairs and public policy is a plus.
Some technologies we use at the ideas lab
• JS libraries and frameworks like React, Vue, Highcharts, D3, and jQuery
• Content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, Forestry)
• Static Site Generators like Jekyll and 11ty
• Build tools like Gulp, Webpack, and Parcel
• Mapping tools like Mapbox, Carto, and Leaflet
You do not need to be proficient in all of these, but you should know a section of them, and be able to and interested in learning others.
Physical requirements and work conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org