The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization providing humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. It takes action in response to emergencies, works in protracted conflicts and other situations of violence and at the same time promotes respect for international humanitarian law (IHL) and its implementation in national law.
As part of its institutional compliance obligations and fulfilment of its protection mandate the ICRC delegation in Brussels is looking for a: Deputy Data Protection Officer (Middle east, North Africa and Asia regions), (100%)(resident contract).
Purpose of the post
The Deputy Data Protection Officer [Geographic Area of Responsibility] advises on and ensures the application of the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection in the processing of personal data within a given geographic Area of Responsibility (AoR), and is the lead within the DPO for those areas. S/he is the ICRC interface vis-à-vis data protection authorities in the countries covered.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Advises delegations in the geographic Area of Responsibility on effective implementation of the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection and respect for related guidelines. This notably includes counselling on the implications of domestic legislation on interaction with partners (liaising with national data protection authorities where necessary) and drafting and advising on the data protection law aspects of contracts, memoranda of understanding and headquarters agreements, etc.;
- Informs and advises delegations regarding their commitments under the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection, requesting, when relevant, that staff comply with a data subject’s request to exercise his/her rights under the Rules;
- Advises on and monitors the documentation, notification and communication of personal data breaches by the staff in charge, and deals with the data protection aspects of these breaches. Oversee, set up and improve an efficient information workflow/system to handle and record requests, complaints and Data Protection Impact Assessments;
- In close cooperation with the delegations in the region(s), ensures proper understanding and follow-up of national data protection legislation;
- Organizes training on data protection for ICRC staff in the geographic Area of Responsibility;
- Supports the delegations in carrying out data protection impact assessments;
- Represents the ICRC in relevant conferences/seminars on data protection;
- Carries out inspections of delegations in the region(s), and ensures enforcement of the ICRC Rules on Personal Data Protection;
- Is the ICRC interface vis-à-vis data protection authorities in the geographic Area of Responsibility;
- If necessary and requested by National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, provides guidance on data protection law matters, including on domestic legislation, International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement codes of conduct, and new technologies;
- Contributes to and supports the developments of Data Protection related policies, tools and best practices to fulfill ICRC humanitarian mandate within the Data Protection Office.
This position reports to the Deputy Head of Data Protection Office, based in Geneva.
He/she is part of the Data Protection Office which team is split between ICRC Geneva HQ and ICRC Brussels.
Desired profile and skills
- Master’s degree in law, international law or human rights law;
- Knowledge of data protection laws, confirmed by Data Protection Officer certification;
- Interest in, and understanding of technology and digitalisation;
- Admission to practise law an asset;
- Fluent command of English and French;
- Computer proficiency.
What we offer
- An inspiring opportunity to practice your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural environment;
- Progressive professional development and stimulating benefits package;
- A full time open ended contract;
- A competitive salary according to ICRC Brussels salary scale and experience.
- Location: Brussels;
- Type of position: Resident (C1);
- Activity rate: 100 %;
- Length of assignment: Open-ended contract (Belgian labour law);
- Estimated start date: ASAP.
Of note that this position requires regular travels to ICRC Delegations within the Area of Responsibility (including sometimes in challenging contexts), Geneva HQ, and relevant conferences or seminars. Travelling time is estimated over 50% of the time.
CV and application letter must be submitted before 20 Septembre 2019 by email to: [email protected] (subject of the email: your name + DDPO).
Information about processing of your personal data is available on our website: https://www.icrc.org/en/document/information-notice-processing-personal-data-0.
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org