The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
We are recruiting a Sub Editor to work on the Middle East and Africa portfolio of print and electronic products within the Country Publishing division. The ideal candidate will also sub edit and publish daily events-driven articles through our content management system. You will work closely with the Senior Sub Editor on the Middle East and Africa region and report to the Manager, Sub edit.
How will you contribute?
- Perform on-screen sub editing complying with the company house style. This includes checking grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Check internal consistency of statistical data
- Improve text by identifying inconsistencies and errors (in both language and content) and resolving ambiguous passages in conjunction with the Editors
- Handle text, tables and charts within a custom-built template. You will ensure that the final formatting and page layout of both print and electronic products within the template comply with house style
- Send both print and electronic products for final publication through the template
- Ensure the quality of online events-driven articles, using the content management system to sub edit and publish them directly to the website
- Assist other regional sub editors when uneven workflow arises
- Attend regional and sub edit meetings
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for this role are:
- A degree or equivalent (ideally in English, Political Science, Politics, Economics, International Relations or a related subject)
- Relevant work experience in a sub edit role
- International commercial exposure within a publishing environment
- Knowledge of custom-built templates, including formatting and page layout
- An interest in, or basic understanding of, macroeconomic analysis, politics and international affairs
- Knowledge of intermediate Word; Excel an advantage
- A good command of the English language
- Knowledge of and interest in the Middle East and Africa would be ideal
- An ability to work on tight deadlines and attention to detail
- An ability to assess the level of sub editing needed for each report and to detect internal inconsistencies
- Huge attention to detail and a high level of numeracy
- Ability to produce high quality of output under pressure
- Good communication skills and excellent organisational skills
Share on your newsfeed
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a covering note identifying why you feel you would be a great addition to the team along with your salary expectations.
In return, we provide a supportive and progressive environment with a wide range of opportunities for you to grow both personally and professionally.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org