The Director for Advocacy is responsible for the strategic oversight of the department, management and recruitment of staff, and the development and maintenance of strategic partnerships within Advocacy across the network, the Adventist Church, NGO community and multi-laterals. The Director will oversee the development of resources and training to progress the ADRA Network in its understanding and engagement in the advocacy sector and oversee the development and role out of ADRA’s advocacy campaigns.
- Provide strategic leadership in shaping the future direction and developing the capacity of ADRA to engage in advocacy at local, national and global levels;
- Oversee the development and delivery of high quality, evidence-based advocacy campaigns that reflect the organization’s strategic direction and core values;
- Track and analyze key global policy developments and trends relevant to the subject of ADRA’s global campaign/s;
- Oversee the building and management of partnerships and alliances to advance and refine ADRA’s advocacy campaigns;
- Represent ADRA to key external constituencies, including both formal and informal presentations such as making speeches, and attending conferences and other meetings as necessary;
- Supervise advocacy staff based in other ADRA offices (if appointed by ADRA International) as well as contractors and consultants;
- Engage with Adventist church leaders and organizations to gain their involvement and the Adventist constituencies engagement in advocacy;
- Liaise with national governments, multi-laterals and other relevant bodies around policy change and funding necessary to achieve the outcomes of the advocacy campaign;
- Develop training materials and workshops to train the ADRA Network in advocacy;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advocacy as a concept can be abstract and multi-lateral, with varied perceptions about what ADRA’s core mission as it relates to advocacy. Education of key stakeholders relating to advocacy is (and equally important what it isn’t), as well as to gain buy-in on the benefits it can bring to ADRA to get buy in;
- Given that advocacy is relatively new to ADRA, especially at ADRA International and at a network level, changing culture and perceptions is critical. The key will be to learn from the journey advocacy takes across the network;
- A global campaign is much more difficult to design and implement (compared to a national campaign) because it has to be so broad it is difficult to pin down specifics of how we want to implement the campaign and what we want to achieve.
- Advanced degree in advocacy, communications, law, international relations, international development or relevant field;
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership role in advocacy, lobbying or communications with an international NGO, USG, multilateral institution, consulting, or other relevant public/private/nonprofit sector institutions;
- Demonstrated technical skills and knowledge on how to build an advocacy strategy and campaign;
- Demonstrated experience in the leading of a team, strategic planning, training programs;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in English in both written and verbal manner, including public speaking and presentations;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- French, Spanish or Portuguese as second language is highly desirable;
- Familiarity with educational, training and cultural conditions in selected countries, regions and continents where ADRA works.
- Persuading and Influencing (3.2) - Makes a strong personal impression on others; gains clear agreement and commitment from others;
- Learning and Researching (5.1) - Gathers comprehensive information to support decision making; rapidly learns new tasks and quickly commits information to memory;
- Planning and Organising (6.1) - Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances;
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking (8.2) - Identifies business opportunities for the organisation; demonstrates financial awareness.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org