Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the general guidance of the Director, Human Resources, Science and Technology, the incumbent will provide strategic advice and policy guidance to the Department’s work in the area of education and training, directed at ensuring inclusion, relevance and quality of education for the achievement of the aspirations of the African Union as articulated in Agenda 2063, through the implementation of the continental Policy frameworks. She/he will support Member States in ensuring that education and training contribute towards a peaceful, integrated and prosperous Africa that occupies an increasingly influential space in the global arena.
In this respect, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Ensure overall management of Education Division personnel;
- Advice the department on matters of education policy, curricula, and standards;
- Oversee the work of African Union technical agencies in the area of education, ensuring internal coherence and adherence to continental policies;
- Develop and oversee the implementation of mechanisms to enhance education quality, relevance and responsiveness;
- Spearhead the development of institutional linkages and policy mechanisms to promote regional collaboration and integration in the areas of education, research and training;
- Liaise with other departments to encourage harmonization and quality assurance of all programme activities in education, training and research;
- Provide policy support to strengthen alignment of regional education protocols;
- Promote the development of high caliber human resources on the continent, including women, especially in science, technology, mathematics and engineering;
- Promote knowledge networks and expert mobility in Africa and the diaspora;
- Network with regional and international organizations in the area of education and development for mutual benefit, ensuring a strong African position;
- Provide advice to Member States on realization of their continental and global commitments in education, and regular reporting;
- Mobilize and manage resources for the work of the Division;
- Support capacity development and mentoring of Education staff, especially youth;
- Ensure the production and submission of periodic reports on the activities of the Division;
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Commission.
- Act as Director for Human resources, Science and Technology;
- Represent the department or the Commission in bi-lateral and multi-lateral engagements as instructed;
- Support recruitment of officers and consultants in the Department;
- Take decisions within existing guidelines.
- Ability to represent the department or the Commission to others and to identify potential for synergistic collaboration;
- Project conceptualization, development and management;
- Strategic planning and organizational skills;
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills;
- Teamwork and ability to motivate team members towards a common objective;
- Capacity for professional engagement with high level dignitaries.
Key Results Areas/Outputs:
- Excellence in technical dialogue, strategic thinking, consensus building;
- Proficiency in project cycle management;
- Excellence in leadership as well as teamwork;
- Proficiency in policy development and analysis;
- Judgment and Decision-Making;
- Effective management of work of teams of professional, senior and experienced officers;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
Qualifications and Work Experience required:
- A University Master’s Degree in Education Science, or closely related fields, with twelve (12) years of relevant progressive work experience of which seven (7) years should have been at managerial level and should involve classroom teaching or lecturing in school or University in Africa;
- OR a University Bachelor Degree in Education Science, or closely related fields, with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of relevant progressive work experience of which five (5) years should have been at managerial level and should involve classroom teaching or lecturing in school or University in Africa;
- Proven experience in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating development programmes;
- Professional Training in education management and Training in Project Management should be an advantage.
- Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese);
- Knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org