The Senior Program Officer (SPO) is responsible for contributing to the TB Vaccine Initiative strategy, to develop and manage a portfolio of grants and contracts requiring high-level grant management skills, grantee engagement, monitoring, evaluation, and follow up. The SPO will guide both scientific and partnership aspects of the program strategy as well as be expected to stay abreast of technology and trends within vaccine development that can be used to accelerate the development of new TB vaccine approaches.
- Develop a cross-functional TB Vaccine Initiative strategy, participate in setting goals, manage and implement investments;
- Contribute to leadership and management of the Collaboration for TB Vaccine Discovery (CTVD), an international network of scientists supported by the foundation;
- Contribute to TB vaccine asset strategy teams in partnership with the Gates Medical Research Institute;
- Apply scientific/technical and strategic business expertise to identify, develop and manage strategic investments related to all aspects of our TB Vaccine Portfolio;
- Contribute to managing partnerships in the TB ecosystem including PDPs, grantees, pharmaceutical companies and academic partners;
- Negotiate, execute, and manage complex grants and performance-based contracts;
- Review letters of inquiry and grant proposals and collaborate with colleagues to provide clear, concise and insightful written analyses and recommendations for funding within the areas of TB vaccine pre-clinical and clinical development;
- Consult with grantees and other partners to maximize impact of projects by ensuring grants align with and drive toward meeting strategy goals. This may include: site visits, providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key stakeholders across all phases of the TB Vaccine R&D value chain;
- Develop, manage, resource, and implement programs that align with foundation strategy and are operationally integrated with other foundation programs;
- Contribute to the design of new strategies, collaborations and implementation plans to ensure long-term sustainability and impact;
- Represent the foundation to key program-related external constituencies, as appropriate, on committees related to area of expertise and responsibilities of the position;
- Attend external meetings to represent the foundation and influence global, regional and country agendas in line with global objectives.
Leadership and Culture
- We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge & Skills
- We are looking for people who enjoy the challenge of working on complex projects and collaboratively create solutions that have the potential for transformational change. We seek an experienced leader with knowledge of vaccine development, organizational leadership, and experience in TB. This would include: evaluation of projects, management of strategies and programs.
Education and Experience
- Life science Ph.D and/or MD with 10+ years of experience within R&D/Vaccine Development experience. Experience with infectious diseases, vaccine sciences, clinical development with industry and/or global public health required;
- Scientific experience within Tuberculosis and/or vaccine development required;
- Must have participated in cross-functional teams covering the R&D value chain;
- Experience with R&D collaborations and external partnerships required.
Additional Skills and Experience:
- Ability to think through a product development lens and/or collaborate effectively with clinical development partners;
- Experience with clinical vaccine development, including design and implementation of clinical trials and understanding of the clinical research and regulatory environments in developing countries;
- Experience with product development, ideally in an industry context, including familiarity with the development of clinical, manufacturing, regulatory and product launch strategies and the ability to contribute to a cross-functional product development team;
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communications in a broad and diverse audience on a range of complex technical issues;
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration as well as a demonstrated ability to work with flexibility, efficiency and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort; ability to work in a cooperative and collegial fashion;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully assemble, coordinate, and manage complex inter-group collaborations and partnerships, guiding such programs to meet programmatic and strategic goals;
- Experience in the execution, conduct and/or management of performance based contracts or cooperative agreements;
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to solve problems with energy and positive attitude;
- Ability to organize/prioritize work and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment with multiple and competing demands;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and build relationships to gain the respect and trust of others;
- Solid understanding of the realities and complexities of matrix based organizations;
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally;
- Demonstrated passion for the foundation’s values with a commitment to deliver results against the foundation’s mission.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org