The Director Health Systems leads a team of hardworking individuals who shape and manage a portfolio of complex grants to improve the efficiency of primary health care systems in low and lower-middle income countries and extend coverage of PHC interventions. As a Director at the foundation, S/He will be expected to influence the field of primary health care, lead and manage a diverse and hardworking team, build successful collaborations with partners internally and externally, and serve as a technical leader in areas of health systems, health financing and service delivery innovation. S/He will develop and communicate a strategic framework for our investments that provides vision and ambition and then works to translate the strategy into specific actions the team can take to advance primary health care. As part of the Global Delivery Programs Leadership Team, s/he will participate in building a strong culture of teamwork and results across the programs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide technical and managerial leadership for BMGF’s health financing and health systems strengthening work around the world. Improve the state of the art of PHC systems strengthening and health financing, in partnership with foundation strategy teams, other donors, and host governments. Key areas of focus will be: how health systems are designed (including comparative health systems and the role of the private sector in mixed health systems); how systems are financed, including strategic purchasing; how health systems are governed and run, and how innovations to improve service delivery are identified and developed;
- Bring to bear foundation investment and voice to attract additional funding and influence policies and practices to improve primary care systems in at least 10 countries around the world, including the foundation’s 3 key geographies (Nigeria, India, Ethiopia). Funding and policy work will be in close partnership with colleagues on Global Policy and Advocacy, specifically Policy, Advocacy, Communications (PAC) and Donor, Government Relations (DGR) teams;
- Oversee the Foundation’s technical assistance and support in health systems strengthening and health financing to BMGF offices in India and China, program strategy teams, and across BMGF global programs;
- Develop strategies, program investments, global public goods, and in partnership with PAC, build an influencing agenda that will lead to improvements in health systems and primary health care financing, ultimately improving key health indicators (i.e. reduction in maternal and child mortality, etc.);
- Drive external relationships and influencing agenda (in close partnership with BMGF AC team) with key donors and development partners (i.e. World Bank, WHO), platforms, and key grantees and implementing agencies;
- Lead strategic relationships with other funders, host governments, implementing agencies, academic institutions and think tanks, and other shapers of HSS and health financing;
- Consult with grantees and other partners to encourage collaboration, improve impact of projects and ensure optimal learning -- both internal and external learning. This may include site visits, providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key partners;
- Lead and manage a team to develop and implement mixed health system (public, NGO, and private sector), primary care systems strengthening, and health financing strategies and identify, negotiate, execute and conduct and/or manage complex, performance-based contracts/grants. This includes review of letters of interest and grant proposals and summaries of progress;
- Serve as a member of the Global Delivery Program’s Leadership Team;
- Build the skills and capacity of foundation staff in primary care systems strengthening and health financing. Lead efforts in the coaching, mentoring, and professional development of team members and others within the foundation while holding people accountable, and recognizing achievement and lessons learned;
- Manage internal processes and portfolio progress while ensuring appropriate documentation, grant budgeting and reporting;
- Reports to: Director, Global Delivery Programs.
Core knowledge and skills
- Ability to effectively inspire and direct staff (including cross-functional teams): professional development, recruitment, termination, time management and portfolio management;
- Strategy development and execution: guide implementation, delivery, and impact measurement of approved strategic objectives. Lead execution of strategy, annual updates and future strategy development;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communication with a broad audience representing diverse cultures;
- Knowledge of business and or public health principles and processes, with ability to navigate complex environments;
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, intellectual quickness, creativity, curiosity, discipline and resourcefulness.
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree with 15+ years of relevant experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org