Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is in the United Nations Verification Mission (UNVMC) in Colombia. The Close Protection Officer at FS-5 level will act as Team Leader of the Protective Service Unit (PSU).
The PSU´s Team Leader reports to the Chief Security Adviser through the Deputy Chief Security Adviser, on all Protective Service issues.
Within delegated authority and under the general supervision of the Deputy Chief Security Adviser (DCSA) the Close Protection Officer at the FS-5 level will carry out the following duties as the Protective Service Unit´s (PSU) Team Leader:
- Reports to the DCSA on official moves of the Senior UN Official (SUNO);
- Provides advice on operational requirements within the mandated area of operations and the time of assignment;
- Maintains security coverage for the working office and personal residence of the SUNO;
- Ensures that mitigating measures are in place at all time to deter or deny identified threat and to preserve the security, safety and wellbeing of the SUNO;
- Ensures that continued effectiveness of the PSU remains in relation to the changes of the local threat level;
- Conducts Security Liaison Officer´s operations;
- Accompanies the SUNO during official travels and coordinates all related security requirements;•Within delegated authority, liaises with relevant security focal points and briefs members of the PSU;
- Prior to initiating a deployment, coordinates with representatives of mission units or departments on issues of the location, as well as public forces, on the current threat and political climate and assesses, plans, coordinates and executes Security Liaison Officer´s operations;
- Conducts pre-deployment briefings with the Security Liaison Officers (SLO) and coordinates with the staff in the office of the SUNO under the DSCA supervision;
- Provides guidance on changes that might occur whilst on duty;•De-briefs SLOs and assesses each move upon conclusion;
- Contributes to the forecasting, planning and executing security training for his/her team and liaises with other UN Missions to keep abreast with current training methods;
- Maintains the qualification records and ensures that security officers are certified according with the UN standards;
- Contributes to supervise the performance of all UN Personnel of the PSU (Close Protection Officers and Drivers)
- Identifies gaps in existing capability and makes recommendation for amendment;
- Monitors team equipment and ensures minimum equipment requirements are supplied, maintained and deployed;
- As PSU Team Leader and as required, drafts the Statements of Requirement and provides technical specifications for the procurement of unit and team equipment. Determines equipment, facility and supply needs based on operational requirements;
- Performs any other duties as required.
- Excellent knowledge of close protection technique combined with a solid background of military, police or security specialization;
- Well-developed analytical skills;
- Able to recognize and evaluate the seriousness of threats;
- Capacity to effectively coordinate close protection operations;
- Ability to effectively deal with stress factor when encountered in security management and close protection operations;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations.;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team Shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- uses time efficiently.
- Serves as a role model that other people want to follow;
- Empowers others to translate vision into results;
- Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives;
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support;
- Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions;
- Drives for change and improvements;
- Does not accept the status quo;
- Shows the courage to take unpopular stands;
- Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- A high school diploma or equivalent technical or vocational certificate is required. Completion of an international, national or commercial Close Protection training is desirable; training in martial arts and/or specialized security practices is desirable.
- A minimum of 8 years with high school diploma or equivalent of responsible experience in the military, police or security management is required;
- Close protection of one or more principals; close protection command post operations; close protection response techniques; and conduct of close protection training is desirable;
- A minimum of 5 years of responsible experience in close protection with a national, private or international security organization is required;
- Experience and proficiency in the use of weapons, surveillance equipment, and vehicles is required;
- Work experience in the United Nations Common System or similar entities is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Spanish (both oral and written) is required.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by an informal interview.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org