The Thomson Reuters Foundation stands for free, independent journalism, human rights, women’s empowerment, and the rule of law. We use the skills, values, and expertise of Thomson Reuters to run programmes that trigger real change and empower people around the world, including free legal assistance, journalism, media and communication training, coverage of the world’s under-reported stories, and the Trust Conference.
Our Media Development team fosters the highest standards of journalism worldwide. We believe accurate, impartial and independent journalism leads to better-informed societies. It holds power to account, strengthens the rule of law and contributes to economic and social development.
We provide support to journalists and independent media outlets to produce and distribute high quality journalism in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Activities include:
- Training: Hands-on training from Reuters and international experts with a focus on producing real stories
- Mentoring: Editorial support from idea to publication by Reuters veterans to give stories global resonance
- Small grants: Funds for specific investigations and cross-border collaborations
- Distribution: Global channels to bring the best journalism to the widest possible audience
- Fellowships: Opportunities to broaden horizons through research and exchange
- Newsroom consultancies: Strategy, sustainability and editorial policy inputs
We are seeking a Project Manager to join the Media Development team in London to implement international projects.
Please note, this is a fixed term contract till March 31, 2022.
The Project Manager will define scope and manage a portfolio of programmes. He/she will work closely with members of the team to ensure technical and/or business objectives are achieved and ensure effective delivery of his/her portfolio, including compliance with client and contract requirements. He/she will hold responsibility for financial oversight of allocated programmes by coordinating with Project Coordinators, partners and the finance team.
This position will dedicate significant time to the Media Development team’s new programming in Eastern Baltic countries, supporting initiatives to support a functioning free and fair press in countries including Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. Additionally, it is expected this person would also have work streams focused on other geographic regions.
Key tasks, duties and responsibilities
- Ensure effective delivery of the Foundation’s Media Development programmes, including compliance with client and contract requirements. Hold responsibility for financial oversight of allocated programmes by coordinating with colleagues, partners and finance team
- Produce reports to key stakeholders on programme progress, including preparing narrative, identifying success stories, and providing financial updates to donors
- Serve as primary liaison between the Foundation and project funders, partners, stakeholders and beneficiaries
- Define, document and manage where needed, working with multiple teams that may have differing priorities and working/cultural practices.
- Develop implementation strategy in line with objectives, budget and stakeholder expectations, and adjust accordingly as implementation context evolves
- Facilitate information sharing within the Media Development team and with other Foundation units
- Represent the Thomson Reuters Foundation to a wide range of stakeholders and at public events
- Travel regularly and internationally to monitor programme implementation and ensure programme quality
- Identify, assesses and manage risks to the success of the project
- Effectively manage project team conflicts, build collaborative partnerships with stakeholders, and obtain commitment to make decisions
- Estimate costs, timescales and resource requirements for the successful completion of each project to agreed scope and constraints
- Prepare and maintains project plans and tracks activities against the plan
- Implement effective communication plan and operating rhythm, including provision of regular and accurate reports
Skills and Attributes
- Experience working with international donors, particularly FCO and DFID. Familiarity with donor reporting requirements, including Monitoring and Evaluation
- Track record in managing successful projects in the international development context
- Experience in a role in journalism/media, international relations, international development or relevant field
- Outstanding project or programme management skills, and experience with monitoring and evaluation (building log frames, theories of change)
- Excellent budget and financial management, including fluency in Excel
- Resilience, ability to cope with high pressure projects and work environments and find solutions to problems when they arise
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to quickly understand complex information and communicate to non-experts
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally, with people from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Fluency in English; other languages (such as Russia, Latvian or Estonian would be an advantage)
- Experience in remote programme management, programme start up, mobilisation and close down
- Understanding of media capacity building and associated challenges a distinct advantage
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org