UNDP is committed to promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment through a diverse range of programming activities, knowledge products, advocacy campaigns and capacity development tools. In the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region, the UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) supports Country Offices to address gender equality in all thematic areas. As part of this work, the IRH Gender Equality Team designs advocacy campaigns, and compiles, analyzes and presents information and messaging on gender equality issues in ways that can meaningfully inform policy design. Such information is also used to help UNDP provide evidence-based advisory services to governments and other partners to advance gender equality in the region. As part of these efforts UNDP is looking at policy and programmimg solutions to scale up countries efforts to ensure a more inclusive pattern of economic growth – a pattern that will provide women and men with equal opportunities to benefit from economic growth and to be able to contribute to it.
Recent research in the Europe and Central Asia region suggests that although young women are doing just as well as young men in scientific disciplines at the tertiary level, fewer women than men tend to pursue STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) degrees in university, particularly in engineering and ICT (information, communication, technology) departments. More women need to be encouraged to pursue careers in STEM fields to reduce gender inequalities and to prepare them to benefit from the digital transformation of labour market. Gender perspectives in STEM are also important to overcome gender biases in research and development.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the assignment is to design a concept for the development of an ECA regional online advocacy platform on gender equality in STEM that will present a range of issues in STEM fields, including education, employment opportunities and research, from a gender perspective and exemplify the solution to those.
Specific objectives include the following:
- Conduct a brief review of existing region-specific research and literature on the gender equality issues in STEM;
- Identify the region- specific gender equality issues in STEM to be addressed in a such platform;
- Interview relevant stakeholders (including UNDP offices in the region) to identify gender champions/role models in the STEM fields in the region to be featured in the platform;
- Coordinate efforts with key partners including regional organizations (e.g. the Western Balkans Regional Cooperation Council);
- Identify other partners to be engaged in the future platform- e.g. private sector and companies, academia, CSOs to be involved in the platform;
- Preparation of overall proposal including the technical and substantive features of the platform and its advocacy objectives, and multimedia content;
- Identify 3-4 multimedia companies that could be tasked in development of a such platform.
Deliverables and estimated timeline:
Deliverable 1 (10 %) by 5 June 2020:
- Review of the existing research and data – This deliverable will be a desk review of existing research, working and issues papers drafted on current situation of the issue that hinder women’s advancement in the STEM fields in the Europe and Central Asia region. This would include review of existing research on gender equality in STEM, engagement tools and platform and data sets.
Deliverable 2 (30 %) by 15 June 2020:
- Identify and present a list of gender equality champions and role models in STEM fields from different countries of the ECIS region of (up to six role models) in addition, suggest and design a multimedia form and content for presenting their stories;
- Identify and present a list of the region- specific gender equality issues (up to four issues) in STEM and related solutions to be advocated for in the platform - present the multimedia form and content;
- Identify list of partners from the region -CSO, regional organizations, private sector, academia etc) to be engaged and featured in the platform
- Coordinate engagement with the existing regional the partners and UNDP offices and colleagues
Deliverable 3 (40 %) by 30 June 2020:
- Present and discuss the draft outline of the platform – 10-page (maximum) including description of the technical and features of the platform, Innovative and engaging functionalities and specific substantive multimedia content for each suggested feature and/or section. The outline will include a list of gender equality champions in the STEM field from different countries in the region, suggest the samples of multimedia content and form for substantive content on gender issues in STEM, as well as key advocacy messages on issues to be addressed by in the platform.
- Present and integrate feedback from UNDP units and relevant partners.
Deliverable 4 (20 %) by 15 July 2020:
- Final proposal for the design of the platform – 20-page (maximum) including the revised outline, detailed description of the technical and features of the platform, Innovative and engaging functionalities and specific substantive multimedia content for each suggested feature and/or section. The outline will include agreed list of gender equality champions in the STEM field from different countries in the region (at least one per country), suggest the multimedia content and form for substantive content on agreed gender issues in STEM, as well as list of agreed advocacy messages to be addressed by in the platform.
- Finally, the proposal will include the list of other partners to be engaged in the platform with contact details as well as the rationale for the selection of the specific multimedia company and their contact details.
Ethics & Values:
- Demonstrating / Safeguarding Ethics and Integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity;
- Demonstrates and promotes the highest standard of integrity, impartiality, fairness and incorruptibility in all matters affecting his/her work and status.
Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Delivers verbal/written information in a timely, clear, organized and easily understood manner;
- Excellent oral and written skills to develop knowledge products in specified areas.
Self-Management & Emotional Intelligence:
- Creating synergies through self-control tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Strong intercultural skills and communication;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in social or political science, International Relations, Economics, Media Relations, Development, Journalism, communications, public relations or related field.
- Academic background and research experiences in gender equality and women’s empowerment is considered a strong asset.
- At least four years of experience in communications and research, journalism, public relations or related fields ;
- Experience in writing reports and briefs on development issues, particularly gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Working experience and/ or proven knowledge of challenges related to gender equality and women’s empowerment in STEM fields globally and/ or in the Europe and Central Asia region would be an asset;
- Experience with engaging different stakeholders in the STEM fields would be an asset,
- Experience with designing content for or/ and online tools, including social media as and Web 2.0.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communications skills in English
Evaluation of Applicants
Applicants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposals. The award of the contract should be made to the applicant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical (P11 desk reviews and interviews) and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Only candidates who receive min 70% of points in desk review (Criteria A- C) will be considered for interview. Only candidates who receive min 70% of points in technical evaluation (Criteria A-E) will be considered for the financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max. 35 points:
- Criteria A – (desk review) - At least five years of experience in communications and research, online advocacy, public relations or related fields; – max. 8 points;
- Criteria B – (desk review) Proven experience in writing reports and briefs on development issues, particularly gender equality and women’s empowerment (submitted samples);– max. 8 points;
- Criteria C (desk review) – Experience with designing multimedia content for online tools, including social media as and Web 2.0. – max. 7 points.
- Criteria D – (interview) Proven knowledge of issues and challenges related to women’s economic empowerment and gender equality in STEM fields globally and/ or in the Europe and Central Asia region would be an asset; – max. 6 points;
- Criteria E – (interview) – Experience with engaging different stakeholders in the STEM fields would be an asset, – max. 6 points;
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org