Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical contributions and substantive support to the implementation of the UN System-Wide Action Plan and Accountability Framework on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-SWAP) and the synergies and complementarities with the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard:
- Provide coordination and technical support and guidance to the implementation of the UN-SWAP, collaborating closely with other UN entities, funds and programmes and UN coordinating bodies;
- Coordinate and provide technical support to the UN-SWAP Help Desk Support service, including providing guidance, training and expert advice;
- Identify and deploy expert advisors, as necessary;
- Develop relevant guidance plans and other initiatives to support gender equality policies, strategies and mechanisms for managerial accountability;
- Provide substantive and organizational support to the UN-SWAP inter-agency workshops and meetings, including drafting work plans, developing meeting agendas, overseeing logistical arrangements for meetings, and issuing regular communications to the UN-SWAP Focal Point Network;
- Review the design, technical notes and overall adequacy and implementation of the UN system-wide accountability frameworks for gender mainstreaming in light of feedback from entities and recommendations from other coordination bodies and input from Member States and provide suggestions for improvement;
- Provide technical support to UN-SWAP focal points to promote the use of data generated through the process of implementation of the accountability frameworks, gender focused evaluations, gender audits, gender responsive evaluations and similar tools.
Provide substantive support to the implementation of system-wide financial tracking mechanisms and targets and the inclusion of gender mainstreaming criteria in pooled funding and system-wide innovative financing mechanisms:
- Provide technical contributions to the development of policy on financial tracking mechanisms for gender equality and the empowerment of women (gender markers);
- Contribute to harmonized reporting on financing for gender equality in individual entities and aggregate, system-wide reporting;
- Provide quality assurance for the implementation of the gender markers;
- Contribute to consolidated reporting of data on financing for gender equality in the UN system;
- Provide technical support to pooled funds secretariats to integrate criteria for gender equality and the empowerment of women in the design, selection of proposals, implementation and monitoring of trust funds and other financing mechanisms, including those established for the UN response to the health and development crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Monitor and report on the mapping and costing of the UN system gender architecture.
Provide substantive support to monitoring and reporting individual and aggregate results on the implementation of the gender mainstreaming strategy in the UN system to intergovernmental processes and high-level UN global coordination mechanisms and evaluating the contributions of UN Women to UN Coordination and a stronger UN system in their work on gender equality and the empowerment of women:
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative monitoring of policy, practice and progress made by the organizations of the UN System for enhanced gender mainstreaming and analysis of annual UN-SWAP reporting results;
- Provide substantive support to the production of entity level reports on annual UN-SWAP reporting results and provide technical contributions to the quality assurance of self-reporting by UN entities;
- Draft inputs for the annual report of the Secretary General on “Mainstreaming a gender perspective into all policies and programmes in the United Nations system;
- Provide substantive input in the preparation of position papers and reports for policy-making organs, as requested;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of evaluative mechanisms to assess the extent to which UN Women’s UN Coordination mandate is effective and perceived as contributing to a more effective UN system to deliver on gender equality and the empowerment of women through a variety of mandates; headquarters and field levels; and geographical areas.
Provide substantive support to the preparation of communication materials, capacity building initiatives, knowledge management and outreach efforts related to gender mainstreaming and system-wide accountability frameworks:
- Provide technical contributions to the conceptualization and development of knowledge products to increase accountability for gender mainstreaming;
- Lead the management of the UN-SWAP Knowledge Hub, an online repository of resources for each of the performance areas of the UN-SWAP, including policies, practices, training materials and lessons learned;
- Manage the UN-SWAP online reporting site, including liaising with site developers and overseeing necessary updates and improvement of the reporting mechanisms and user experience;
- Manage and update webpages related to promoting accountability on the UN Women global website;
- Provide technical contributions for the development communication and information products such as newsletters, website updates, social media and other dissemination materials;
- Collaborate with the UN Women Training Centre for UN system-wide capacity building initiatives on gender mainstreaming and accountability on gender mainstreaming and strengthening the focal point system, and coordinate, and/or contribute substantively to seminars, expert group meetings, panel discussions, etc. on emerging topics related to the UN-SWAP and system-wide accountability frameworks;
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with a broad range of actors in the UN System and in the private and nongovernmental sectors working on accountability for gender mainstreaming
- Support statistical analysis to identify lessons learned from individual entities and system-wide mechanisms;
- Provide technical contributions in the replication of accountability frameworks to other sectoral areas;
- Provide support for the implementation of stocktaking and lessons-learned exercises and maintain a database of good practices.
Provide programme support to UNSCD management priorities:
- Assist in the administration of the work of the Division including the development and monitoring of annual workplans and budgets and preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting;
- Assist in the selection, orientation and supervision of support staff and interns;
- Provide support the mobilization of resources by developing proposals for member states, private sector, foundations, individuals and other potential donors on the coordination and implementation of accountability frameworks for gender mainstreaming;
- Collaborate with other UN Women Divisions and Regional and Country offices in the dissemination of information and results from the implementation of the UN system-wide accountability frameworks on gender mainstreaming;
- Contribute to corporate priorities, events and activities such as International Women’s Day, Beijing plus 25, CSW and other relevant inter-divisional and inter-agency task forces, as required;
- Provide substantive support to policy papers, briefing notes and talking points as required;
- Represent UN Women at briefings and meetings as required;
Provide any other support as requested by the supervisor and Division Director
Key Performance Indicators:
The results of the work of the Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist impact the effectiveness of UN Women's support to the UN System in improving accountability and systemwide performance on gender mainstreaming at global, regional and country team level.
- Quality and timely inputs to written reports and other documents;
- Timely monitoring and reporting of individual and aggregate results on accountability for gender mainstreaming;
- Quality and timely monitoring and reporting on financing for gender equality in the UN system;
- Substantive and timely support to the individual entity and formal reporting mechanisms;
- Timely and responsive support in the organization of professional UN-SWAP and gender equality network meetings;
- Number of strong partnerships and collaborations and timely exchange of ideas.
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong knowledge of Inter-agency processes related to gender equality and the work of the UN on gender equality issues;
- Excellent drafting, editing and oral presentation skills and ability to write and advocate succinctly;
- Strong planning and organizing skills;
- Good supervisory skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrated judgement in decision-making;
- Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills;
- Technological awareness and ability to leverage information technology for optimal performance;
- Demonstrated skills in capacity building to diverse teams and individuals;
- Demonstrated skills in organizing large inter-agency/inter organization meetings, preparing reports, keeping records, follow-up etc.;
- Demonstrated skills in the use of Knowledge Management (KM) strategies and practices;
- Strong skills in data research and statistical analysis, as well as demonstrated knowledge in qualitative and quantitative monitoring;
- Familiarity with financial tracking mechanisms, pooled funding and gender budgeting tools.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: gender issues, social sciences, economics, or other related fields. Qualifications/Training in data analysis, data research, and/or evaluation highly desirable;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of experience focusing on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues, including at the international level;
- Demonstrated experience supporting inter-agency bodies and UN Coordination mechanisms to advance gender equality and the empowerment of women required;
- Demonstrated experience supporting capacity-building related to gender mainstreaming required;
- Experience in the UN Common System required, ideally in a diversity of UN system locations;
- Experience in financial tracking mechanisms, financial targeting or implementation of pooled funding across the UN system;
- Demonstrated engagement with gender equality issues including research report writing, evaluative assessments and data compilation and analysis of relevance to broad accountability frameworks and its multiple dimensions.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org