Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. We help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues—from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom—so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Color Of Change was founded in 2005 in response to the realization that during Hurricane Katrina—as Black people were left stranded on their roofs to die—no one was afraid of disappointing Black people because there were no consequences for doing so. Every day, we work to build the infrastructure, leadership, strategies, and savvy that will create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
The Deputy Director of Marketing and Storytelling will help the Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer execute the vision for growing and sustaining the brand and content strategy for the organization. Overseeing special projects and partnerships, they will work with internal and external partners to develop a strategic approach and provide ongoing counsel for increasing impact. They will also help build and retain a talented team, which will help manage effectively to implement strategy, measure and meet targeted goals and create new opportunities for impact.
- Manage the Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer team. A strong deputy will support and enable the Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer to successfully navigate a fast-paced schedule and diverse set of responsibilities that include a mix of influencer engagement, media and brand strategy and partnerships, speeches/public appearances, development and organizational management, and team professional development. The deputy will also help manage the calendar and email of the Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer by supporting the Executive Assistant to Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer and serving as a liaison and first point of contact. The deputy will be tasked with helping to set priorities by overseeing the development of written content, speeches, and presentation materials.
- Coordinate and Collaborate with the marketing and storytelling leadership team. In collaboration with the Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer, the Deputy Director of Marketing and Storytelling will convene marketing and storytelling leadership team meetings (weekly), and in-person retreats (twice a year) to address the short-term and long-term departmental strategies. The deputy will also work with the leadership team to coordinate department meetings and any departmental retreats.
- Act as a strategic advisor to Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer constantly looking for opportunities to develop departmental talent and know-how across the entire team.
- Act as a strong ambassador. Translate and advance our values, vision, and efforts across a broad set of national influencers and advocacy partners. You must have highly developed relationship-building skills and an ability to positively represent the organization to a variety of stakeholders. Be a visionary who can grow and manage our influencer engagement.
- Measure Impact. Is it working? Rigorously analyze data, report out on the impact of our storytelling, communications, social media, and content to help foster and accelerate learning and innovation.
- Engage actively and serve as a lead bridge across the organization to help break silos and develop an inclusive, learning-based culture to ensure our campaigns are supported and the value add of our marketing and storytelling efforts are reinforced to make real-world change in the lives of Black people
- Advance our Pop Culture, Hollywood, and Narrative efforts. A leader who is able to understand the value and impact of narrative, culture, and art on advancing our work and campaigns to tell the stories that will advance the issues that will lead to real-world impact for our members, allies, and the broader field. This also means you will help support strategy development and implementation of our Hollywood and Influencer Engagement based work.
- Work with the Chief Marketing and Storytelling Officer to own and develop strategic plans and goals for the department; working in collaboration with the other directors, to research and write program strategy documents that illustrate strong theories of change and use both proven and experimental brand, marketing, and communications approaches to reach goals through successful execution.
- Supervise research projects related to the issues covered by the department and use the research to create written documents and visual presentations, including strategy decks, development proposals, and funder reports, identify and develop other support materials to help enhance the campaigns and issues the organization is working to advance
- Organize, produce and/or coordinate convening, panels, coalitions, team retreats/meetings, and other special projects in order to build out a winning strategy for our team
- Manage support staff (e.g. graphic designer and research associates,), service providers, vendors, and consultants, as well as project plans as needed to achieve overall team goals.
- Work closely with the President’s Office, and Campaigns Team to share responsibility in developing an inclusive, learning-based culture that supports our campaigns to have the greatest impact on real-world change in the lives of Black people.
- Rigorously study, analyze and track data on trends to help shape strategy at the intersection of racial justice and entertainment/popular culture
- Manage the contact, outreach, follow-up, content development, and other functions required to maintain and grow influencer and institutional relationships that are critical to the organization’s success and growth, including work with consultants.
- Proven experience in research, strategy planning and execution, program development, management, and online advocacy.
- Strong writing and verbal skills. The ability to communicate information clearly is fundamental to this role, especially via reports, strategy decks, memos, and other strategy-related documents.
- Comfortable with public speaking and presenting to groups along with an ability to inspire colleagues and peers around a common mission or set of powerful ideas.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You are confident in interacting with other staff, external partners, organizations, and consultants.
- Strong organizational skills., managing multiple priorities, timeliness, and attention to detail is key.
- Ability to effectively use a Black/racial justice frame of reference to write strong and persuasive strategic plans and program development materials.
- Passion for the mission of Color Of Change and a personal commitment to furthering the goals of the organization.
- Believe strongly in the ability of grassroots efforts – particularly member-driven strategic, collective action – to change the course of history.
- Share the organization’s commitment to racial justice: building real leverage and power for Black people in the domains of politics, industry, and culture.
- Commitment to confidentiality and ability to exercise absolute discretion
- Ability to identify media moments and opportunities, and to develop, execute and deliver on plans for growth
- Able to work independently in a fast-paced environment, with a proactive approach
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours, and travel (35-60%)
- 5+ years of people management experience
- A great sense of humor and a strong belief in the impossible is possible
- Ability to work cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment and under tight deadlines to meet goals
- Comfortable to travel as well as work late nights and weekends.
Color Of Change offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation and holiday schedules and medical, dental and disability insurances.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org