Human Resources Specialist (Employee Relations/Labor Relations)

U.S. Department of the Army
  • Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
  • Sector
  • Experience
    Early Career / Mid Career
  • Apply by
  • Posted
    Jun 25

Position description

About the Position: The New Orleans District Human Resources Office provides civilian human resources support and advice to the New Orleans District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The office is located in the Uptown area of New Orleans overlooking the Mississippi River. There is a fitness center on the premises, and free employee parking. Audubon Park is within walking distance.



  • Deliver briefings, project papers, status/staff reports, and correspondence to managers.
  • Advise and/or resolve moderately complex issues exercising knowledge and skill in applying HR methods, principles and evaluative methods.
  • Assisting with fact-finding investigations, complaints and grievances related to employee relations issues.
  • Drafting employee relations notices in accordance with applicable statutes, regulations, administrative and judicial decisions, policies, and national labor agreements.
  • Advising employees, managers, or supervisors on grievance procedures to properly resolve work conflicts.
  • Serving as a point-of-contact on labor-management matters of concern such as grievances, information sharing, contract interpretation, labor relations training, and preparation of and conduct of contract bargaining.
  • Developing and using alternative dispute techniques and methods for resolving employee relations disputes at the lowest level possible.

Travel Required

Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.


Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.

  • Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
  • Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
  • Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel Workforce
  • Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
  • Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
  • Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
  • Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
  • Postal Service/Peace Corps and Other Unique Authorities
  • Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
  • Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998

In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.

Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes using federal, local guidance's and regulations to research and provide advice to management officials on routine labor and employee relations issues such as: leave administration, disciplinary issues, performance management, and the collective bargaining agreement.This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the second lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Education: One full year of graduate level education in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of the position.
Superior Academic Achievement: Successful completion of all the requirements for a bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement. Superior Academic Achievement is based on:(1) Class Standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses; OR(2) Grade-Point Average (G.P.A.) - Applicants must have a grade-point average of either (a) 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on your official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or (b) 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.; OR(3) Honor Society Membership - Applicants may be considered eligible based on membership in one of the approved national scholastic honor societies listed by the Association of College Honor Societies (
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) by 18. Add the two percentages.

Application instructions

Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on