Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The mandate of the External and Corporate Relations (ECR) Vice Presidency is to strengthen the World Bank Group’s (WBG) development impact by increasing public support for, and awareness of, the mission and work of the WBG. ECR manages stakeholder engagement and communications strategies to help deliver financial and political support to the WBG, while enhancing and protecting the reputation of the institution. ECR manages global engagement with key stakeholders, including media, civil society, private sector, donor countries, and multilateral and international organizations; and manages corporate communications, including online and social media; issues and reputational risk management; and employee engagement.
The ECR Multilateral and International Affairs unit (ECRMI) oversees and coordinates the WBG’s institutional relationships and engagement with several donor countries, the United Nations (UN) system, Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), European Union (EU) institutions, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and key multilateral fora, such as the G7 and G20. In its engagement with donor countries, ECRMI plays a key role in the WBG’s strategic and high-level engagement with key stakeholders and shareholders and supports the WBG’s corporate resource mobilization efforts. ECRMI is also in charge of providing communications advice to the Development Finance Vice Presidency.
The Multilateral Affairs unit (ECRML) has four functions: (i) manage and prioritize corporate-wide global multilateral relationships; (ii) engage with units across the WBG to develop a work program and objectives that reflect the strengths of the WBG; (iii) facilitate the deployment of technical expertise where needed; and (iv) amplify and give visibility to the technical work and engagements led by WBG units in thematic/technical multilateral fora and global partnerships.
The Extended Term Consultant (ETC) is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Advisor, ECRML.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Support to ECRML unit:
- Craft briefing materials for senior management in coordination with WBG colleagues in GPs and Regions and on political, economic, and multilateral issues.
- Build and support relationships with GPs and Regions to ensure a strategic and coordinated approach and that corporate messaging and multilateral deliverables are aligned with WBG priorities.
- Support planning, coordination, and implementation of outreach activities of the WBG, contributing to a continuous dialogue across relevant multilateral constituencies.
- Monitor global political and economic trends and developments; gather and analyze information and identify potential opportunities for the WBG, as well as risks to the WBG's reputation.
- Build and support partnerships with MDBs, multilateral institutions, G20/G7 members (especially their current and upcoming presidencies), related fora and global stakeholders.
- Support the collection of strategic intelligence for senior management on issues of importance to the WBG.
- In coordination with colleagues across the institution, support the crafting of key positioning speeches or presentations for senior leadership, including by identifying additional relevant internal and external research, analysis and trends.
- Support preparations for high-level meetings, events, and trips and, in close coordination with the ECRML Advisor, participate in and provide read-outs from various multilateral events/meetings.
- As needed, support the ECRML unit with other ad hoc projects or tasks.
- Support to ECRMI Director, as needed:
- Assist ECRMI Director with work program planning and monitoring implementation in collaboration with relevant ECRMI teams.
- Stay abreast of WBG (SMT) engagements with relevant donor countries and the G7/G20/UN and other multilateral meetings, in close coordination with relevant teams.
- Coordinate, prepare, edit and review ECRMI briefing materials.
- Collect and coordinate political intelligence and feedback/input from ECRMI team to help service internal and external clients.
- Coordinate and/or prepare briefs, talking points or presentations for the Director and follow up on actions emerging from meetings held by Director. Coordinate and compile ECRMI input to senior management meetings.
- Provide input, analysis and recommendations brought to ECRMI Director’s attention either for information or action. Monitor for potential reputational risk issues and flag to Director where applicable.
- Support collaboration and information sharing with other ECR units as well as other VPUs across the Bank, especially the Development Finance VPU.
- Jointly with ECRMI Program Assistant, prepare ECRMI retreats.
- As needed, support the ECRMI Director with other ad hoc projects or tasks.
- A Master’s degree in relevant field with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience OR a relevant Bachelor’s degree and about 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong diplomacy skills and sensitivity to the WBG's internal and external relationships.
- Ability to effectively interact with internal and external clients at all levels and in a multicultural environment. Track record of managing relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise judgment, tact and discretion, including in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex issues and to communicate to others in a clear and concise way.
- Knowledge of the WBG and the issues currently facing the international development and multilateral arena; solid understanding of or prior experience with ECRML’s and ECRMI’s areas of responsibilities a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks, prioritize deliverables and work under pressure and tight deadlines with accuracy and professionalism.
- Ability to quickly learn, adapt, and be innovative as new challenges arise. Demonstrated high initiative, drive for results, flexibility, and high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in diverse teams.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and command of English.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org