IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2019, we invested more than $19 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
CAO is the independent accountability mechanism for the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), members of the World Bank Group. Reporting to the President of the World Bank Group, CAO responds to complaints from people affected by IFC and MIGA projects with the goal of improving project outcomes on the ground and enhancing the environmental and social performance of IFC and MIGA. CAO has three roles: dispute resolution aimed at finding collaborative solutions to project-level complaints through community-company dialogue; compliance investigations of IFC’s and MIGA’s environmental and social performance; and independent advice to IFC and MIGA on broader environmental and social concerns.
CAO seeks a full-time Communications Analyst based in Washington, D.C. to provide cross-office communications support. Strong editing, writing, and creative skills are essential and will be an important part of the job. CAO is looking for demonstrated experience of website and social media management, in addition to skills developing digital media packages, such as short videos and other communications campaigns. Ultimately, the Communications Analyst will help ensure clear communication of CAO’s work across all channels.
Candidates for the Communications Analyst should have the following skills:
- Excellent communicator with strong attention to detail;
- Fluency in written English essential, and ability to work in other languages preferable;
- Excellent editing and writing skills; research experience an asset;
- Experience working with different communications platforms, including website and social media management, together with email marketing platforms;
- Sensitivity and clarity in writing, communication, and other inter-personal skills;
- The ability to work in a small team, juggling multiple priorities, with issues of ethics and integrity at the forefront of the work;
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, and sensitivity to work in a multicultural environment;
- Experience providing cross-support to different teams and coordinating across different teams in the production of projects;
- Broad knowledge of design principles and design skills an asset;
- Ability to be self-motivated in reaching short deadlines, flexible, and ability to multitask.
- Interest in international development, particularly environmental and social sustainability, accountability and grievance redress, community development, stakeholder engagement, business and human rights, and civil society relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Communications Analyst will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support Senior Communications and Outreach Specialist as part of a small team delivering communications and outreach activities to internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide cross-office internal communications support to CAO’s dispute resolution, compliance, and advisory teams, such as designing and formatting presentations and slide decks, creating information materials to support casework, copy-editing reports, etc.
- Provide editorial support for CAO’s Annual Report and other key publications (case studies, good practice toolkits, advisory work), including print and digital reports; coordinate inputs from staff and consultants, and liaise with editors, designers, production, and print firms.
- Produce CAO’s quarterly newsletter and monthly news update to stakeholders.
- Collaborate in the creation, publication, and launch of multimedia content (e.g. infographics, animations, video, photo essays, e-learning modules, etc.).
- Design and create promotional materials and other assets for CAO (e.g. posters, graphics, flyers etc).
- Provide editorial support for published CAO materials and online content, informational brochures, case studies, and publications, including adapting CAO materials for effective online content.
- Support CAO’s website redesign, liaising with web designers, collating feedback from the CAO team, generating new content to populate the site, supporting content and data migration and site launch.
- Day-to-day maintenance of CAO website and social media platforms, posting new content and case disclosures, and ensuring website is up to date in coordination with the dispute resolution, compliance and advisory teams; coordinate content posting on relevant blogs and other social media outreach and engagement.
- Support for CAO civil society outreach events, assisting with project mapping and background briefs, collating information and presentation materials, and helping with event logistics.
- Support CAO events, including brown bag lunches, trainings, and learning sessions, managing room and catering bookings, audiovisual and tech support, event promotion, room set up and break down etc.
- Draft and edit press releases and track press coverage related to CAO and its casework.
- Maintain the calendar of CAO communications and outreach tasks, and the CAO Events master calendar
- Provide administrative support to comms team related to contract management with vendors and tracking budget.
- Other ad hoc communications tasks and projects as needed by the CAO team.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with 3 or more years’ experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent written and spoken command of English
- Proficient in MS Office; experience working with design software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign), website content management systems (Drupal, etc), and marketing platforms (e.g. MailChimp).
- Strong writing skills; with minimum supervision able to prepare and edit communication products and develop drafts of complex materials in a clear, concise, and accessible style for print and digital circulation.
- Ability to research, identify, and map audiences and stakeholders, and leverage communication tools (eg web analytics, marketing analytics, survey tools) to assess information needs and impact.
- Understanding of digital media strategies
- Proven ability to work independently; use good judgment and be proactive; excellent attention to detail; and good time management skills and organizational skills
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org