Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Office of the Director-General, United Nations Office at Geneva.The incumbent reports to the Head of the Perception Change Project (PCP).
The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops and implements projects under the umbrella of the PCP, notably the outreach with academia and youth initiatives such as the Young Reporters at the UN and #KidsWannaKnow programs;
- Identifies key contacts/entities and opportunities for strategic partnerships and manages regular communications with the network of 100+ PCP partners; Liaises with colleagues in different organizations/units to encourage participation in joint projects and source content illustrating the impact of International Geneva;
- Drafts and compiles communication materials, including project updates, articles and key messaging, in English and French;
- Assists the Head of Project on the PCP and its sub-projects' financial and administrative management; Prepares proposals and follow up on projects' funding; Liaises and communicates with key project stakeholders and with the Host Country; Ensures the timely submission of their agreed substantive deliverables and distribution of PCP publications;
- Coordinates events with PCP partners; Plans and organizes Young Reporters at the UN and #KidsWannaKnow and specific outreach events, such as International Geneva stand at high-profile events, youth conferences or media speed-networking;
- Maintains and supervises the updating of PCP projects' web platforms: creates pages using various systems (Drupal, HTML, Squarespace), uploads multimedia content, designs and optimizes taxonomy, ensures client service to users and quality control of external content;
- Coordinates procurement: estimates the needs for projects, contacts providers, chooses the best option, assists with their contracts and prepares invoices, organizes delivery, control/monitoring
- With the Head of the PCP's guidance, ensures monitoring and drafts reporting of the project;
- Contributes to the roll out of public outreach and social media campaigns;
- Takes photos and videos for the PCP, edits and organizes them, creates animations and other digital products.
- Develops and maintains relations with media contacts;
- Performs other related duties and acts as focal point for specific initiatives as assigned.
Familiarity with the UN editorial policies and practices; broad knowledge of international political, human rights, economic and social affairs; astute political awareness and judgement; very good research and analytical skills. Ability to plan, execute and monitor public communication campaigns, e.g. campaign management, market research, message targeting, impact evaluation. Ability to research and analyze issues and topics related to currents events. Ability to draft and compile a variety of written communication products in a clear, concise style. Ability to interact with the public to build and maintain effective business connections. Shows pride in work and in achievement; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations: Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services;
- Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs;
- Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas;
- Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks "outside the box";
- Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things;
- Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in international relations, political science, communication, public relations or related fields. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in the field of project or event management, partnership-building or communication is required;
- Experience working in a large, multi-stakeholder project, and developing and maintaining partnerships with academia, business and public sector entities is required;
- Experience producing textual and multimedia content for multilingual websites and maintaining webpages in different content management systems is also required;
- Experience in the management and administration of a project is desirable;
- Experience in the United Nations common system is desirable;
- Experience in photo & video editing as well as design is desirable;
- Experience in drafting communication materials is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and French is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org