DPS is seeking a Senior Policy Advisor for the Office of Local Sustainability, within USAID’s Bureau for Economic Growth, Education and Environment (E3/LS) to lead efforts to integrate and mainstream the principles of locally led development into Agency policy and practice, with a primary focus on local capacity development and collaborating with local, new, and underutilized local partners.
E3/LS works toward the day when foreign assistance is no longer needed - and empowered local actors lead and sustain their own development. Through funding and technical leadership, E3/LS provides USAID Missions and staff with the knowledge, skills, tools, and resources to ensure that development assistance is locally led and advances self-reliance.
E3/LS manages several flagship initiatives: Local Works, the Cooperative Development Program (CDP), the Small Project Assistance Program (SPA, in collaboration with Peace Corps), a number of co-created research and development initiatives, the Locally Led Development Annual Program Statement (APS), and the Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Locally Led Development Innovation. The Office also uses its resources to provide thought leadership, policy guidance, communications, research, training, piloting, and other technical services for the benefit of the wider Agency, with the ultimate goal of mainstreaming locally led development principles and approaches across USAID programs. For more information, visit the Office online.
Locally Led Development (LLD) Policy Expert:
- Informed by the Office’s Local Works program and other initiatives, develop and implement an E3/LS strategic plan for integrating LLD principles and practices into Agency-wide policy.
- Coordinate the development and launch of an Agency-wide policy on local capacity development.
- Assess Agency gaps, challenges, and opportunities to influence, shape, and develop Agency-wide policy to reflect LLD principles and practices.
- Develop a system for tracking ongoing policy efforts in order to identify opportunities for supporting, shaping, and informing these policies.
- Continuously liaise and coordinate across USAID Bureaus and programs to effectively advocate for and support integration of LLD principles and practices.
- Coordinate with E3 Bureau leadership to support the transition of E3/LS to the new Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI).
New Partnerships Initiative (NPI) Advisor:
- Lead E3/LS’ engagement with NPI to ensure that locally led development principles and approaches are integrated into the Initiative.
- Participate in the development and implementation of policy, guidance, resource, tools, Mission support, and awareness campaigns regarding NPI.
- Provide policy recommendations to Agency leadership to strengthen implementation of the Initiative, particularly around the areas of local capacity development and engaging with new and underutilized local partners.
USAID Field Engagement Specialist
- Conduct outreach to USAID Missions and across USAID/Washington operating units (OUs) to identify opportunities for improving, informing, or developing Agency-wide policy to integrate LLD.
- Liaise with Local Works and other E3/LS-supported Missions, E3/LS staff, and Agency-wide experts to ensure that LLD evidence and lessons inform Agency policy.
- Provide technical expertise and input on efforts to strengthen field support to USAID Missions through the DDI Field Services working group.
- Coordinate the Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for LLD to ensure strong support to Missions on co-creation principles and practices.
- Serve as a technical advisor to USAID Missions and OUs on local capacity development, including providing: thought leadership on local capacity development principles and practices; remote and in-person technical support; and technical input on E3/LS training, tools, communications, knowledge products, and other resources.
- Master’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university in a relevant field with at least five years of experience relevant to international development.
- Experience developing, coordinating, shaping, influencing, and implementing high-level policy initiatives related to LLD. Demonstrated experience with USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance and the Agency’s New Partnerships Initiative (NPI) a plus.
- Experience supporting and liaising with senior government officials to provide technical advice and guidance on high-level policy matters.
- Knowledge of USAID partnering and procurement processes related to engaging with new and underutilized local organizations.
- Experience serving as a technical point-of-contact to USAID Missions on fostering LLD and working with local actors.
- Knowledge of local capacity development theory and practice, including familiarity with local capacity development 2.0.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to perform tasks independently with limited direction.
- Experience living and/or working in developing countries and resource poor settings.
- Experience with project management, administration, reporting, monitoring, procurement and financial operations (preferably in international development).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google G Suite.
- Familiarity with USAID program cycle and regulations.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org