Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Further, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and research, committed to the development of distinguished and compassionate graduates and to the quest for solutions to human and social problems in the United States and throughout the world.
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines.
The purpose of this position is to manage and coordinate activities of the Pickering Foreign Affairs Program, particularly those involving recruitment, fellowship program implementation, and fellows’ compliance requirements. This position reports to the Deputy Director of the Pickering Program.
The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Program encourages the involvement of outstanding young people, particularly those from underrepresented groups and those with financial need, in international affairs careers. The Program selects Pickering Graduate Fellows through a rigorous nationwide competition and supports them through two years of graduate school, internships, and entry into the U.S. Foreign Service. Program information is available at www.pickeringfellowship.org.
Will supervise the work of a program assistant.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include administrators, faculty, staff and students both within the department and University-wide. External contacts include the sponsor agencies (U.S. Department of State), potential applicants, current fellow and alumni, universities and other non-governmental organizations.
- Program Compliance and Data Management
- Perform specialized grant compliance functions, including writing quarterly reports, drafting surveys and completing analysis, following up with program participants on outstanding program compliance information, and working closely with the Deputy Director/Director on grant compliance.
- Ensure that goals and objectives specified for the program are accomplished in accordance within priorities, time and funding limitations, or other specifications.
- Manages the filing (digital and offline) of all program data and records.
- Graduate Fellow Summer Programs
- Alongside the Program Director and Senior Advisor, facilitate high impact workshops, meetings, or conferences; Coordinate logistics, scheduling and Fellow communications.
- Supports Program Director and Senior Advisor with technological, program, and fellow monitoring.
- Manage the recruitment portfolio for the Graduate Fellowship and Summer Enrichment Program including but not limited to analyzing past and current data, developing recruitment strategies, communicating with potential applicants and organizational partners, planning and implementing information sessions and events, and working closely with senior staff on identifying future partnerships.
- Oversees management of external contacts’ databases, and distributing information through mail-outs, press releases, and e-mails contacts.
- Participates in producing promotional materials, fellow recruitment, selections and processing of finalists and fellows for the program.
- Program Administration and Supervision
- Counsels and provides feedback to staff, assists in selection process, and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Supervises Program Assistant, Recruitment and Administration.
- Performs other program duties as assigned.
- Effective leadership and management skills.
- Highly proficient in generating reports from data collected via Google, Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), and/or other data collection systems.
- Highly organized and able to prioritize, multi-task, follow-through, and meet deadlines.
- Advanced software applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and standard office equipment.
- Takes initiative and possesses outstanding customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent project management and aptitude for organizing large amounts of data and information clearly.
- Quantitative skills, including the ability to analyze data and present findings in a professional manner that informs decision making.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to write correspondence, reports, guidelines, and instructions.
- Strong oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population, and establish and maintain effective work relations with faculty, staff, students, and general public.
- Ability to exercise discretion and ensure a high-level of confidentiality.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5-7 years of related work experience. 12 years of related work experience may be substituted in lieu of educational qualifications; experience working with selection processes, outreach, and State Department desirable.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org