WITNESS believes in the power of effective civic media to protect human rights and drive social change. As advocates and visual storytellers, we know the power of media and technology to amplify marginalized voices, hold abusers accountable, and catalyze movements. We are a global hub of innovative problem-solvers committed to maximizing the potential of the 21st century’s most powerful tools for defending human rights.
For nearly 30 years, we have supported activists in more than 100 countries and built trusted networks with grassroots communities, lawyers, and technology platforms – ceaselessly innovating to accelerate human rights and maximize civic participation. We are at a pivotal moment where we have the opportunity to exponentially expand our influence and reach, and are building a dynamic fundraising team to help lead the way.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Institutional Giving Associate (IGA) plays a key role in all aspects of Institutional Philanthropy (foundations and governments), from research and grant/report writing, to donor cultivation through compelling messaging of programmatic impact and success stories. The IGA also provides key departmental administrative support, including tracking grants throughout their lifecycle, finalizing written submissions, writing prep memos, keeping donor files up to date, and managing databases and engagement systems as they relate to revenue and moves management.
● Help write grant reports, letters of inquiry, and award applications (and support the drafting of proposals), coordinating input from Program, Finance, and Communications teams, with oversight from the Institutional Giving Manager.
● Create new template language that reflects different framing of WITNESS’ work, including documents summarizing work in particular regions or around key thematic issues, and help ensure consistency of all external written materials within the External Relations team and across the organization.
● Copyedit and finalize all written documents, and provide copy editing assistance across the External Relations team as needed, including around mass email communications.
● Schedule and organize meetings with foundation and government donors (including funder-related events and presentations), write prep memos, coordinate internal prep meetings, and take notes when appropriate.
● Process and acknowledge foundation and government donations, liaising with Finance as needed on cash flow updates, foundation grant reconciliation, and the annual audit.
● Track reporting deadlines and dates for key meetings or submissions.
● Maintain data pertinent to foundation contacts.
● Finalize all Foundation submissions, including compiling supporting documentation, adding links, and submitting to foundation representatives or via online portals.
● Maintain departmental files, including grant agreements or contracts, acknowledgement letters, and shared drive folders.
● Conduct cross-departmental prospect research (foundations, governments, individual donors, corporations) using online searches and philanthropic media resources, and recommend fits based on analysis of overlaps and key interests.
● Identify and analyze relevant opportunities and calls for proposals, and together with the Manager and Associate Director of Institutional Giving, provide recommendations about which opportunities to pursue.
● Follow trends related to institutional giving through the philanthropic press and social media and circulate relevant information to the team.
● Support Institutional Giving Manager and Associate Director-Institutional Giving with donor and prospect communications, ensuring that programmatic successes and developments are shared in a timely and customized way, including writing/adapting content, drafting emails for others to send, and distribution.
● Liaise regularly with the program team around recent and upcoming trainings, priority issues, and stories that can be shared externally, and track engagement (“moves management”) with funders and prospects to ensure regular communications.
● Reach out to funders around featuring programmatic work or highlights on their websites, newsletters, or public platforms.
● Institutional Giving Manager
● Associate Director – Institutional Giving
● External Relations Team - Individual Philanthropy, Communications, Events & Strategic Partnerships
● Program Team
● Finance Team
● External staff at foundations, governments, and other stakeholders
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, experience and characteristics:
● You have a Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and 2+ years of experience.
● Writing: Superior writing and editing skills, ability to write compellingly about WITNESS’ programs and broader socio-political context.
● Research/Data: Proficiency in Internet research and Microsoft Office applications; fluency in database and spreadsheet use.
● Communications: Excellent overall written and oral communication and interpersonal skills; ability to interface effectively with colleagues, donors, and board members.
● Confidentiality: Unfailing commitment to upholding confidentiality of sensitive information.
● Work Habits: Highly organized with excellent attention to detail; ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-performance culture; good judgment, reliability and discretion; high degree of professionalism.
● Human Rights/Advocacy/Media/Technology: Genuine enthusiasm for WITNESS’ mission; basic understanding of human rights, video advocacy, visual media, technology, and/or international affairs.
● Experience with nonprofit grant writing and tailoring messaging for different audiences.
● Experience with external communications with funders.
● Awareness and understanding of current funding trends in the nonprofit field.
*Other categories may be relevant and may be added.
To apply, send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references with the subject line “Institutional Giving Associate” [Your name]”.
Please include a cover letter. We are really interested in hearing about what you’ve done, what you can do, and what you want to do at WITNESS.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org