Amherst College invites applications for the position of Director, Center for International Student Engagement. The Director, Center for International Student Engagement is a 3-year term, full-time position, job group and level PT-3. Given Amherst’s distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Director upholds the mission of CISE to provide education, support, community, and advocacy to and on behalf of our international students and works to create and offer immersive opportunities for co-curricular learning and leadership development. Rooted in the framework of intersectionality, the CISE serves as a space where the Amherst community can participate in conversations that expand our collective understanding of global experiences. Reporting to the Associate Dean of Students for Diversity & Inclusion, the Director provides vision, leadership, oversees design methods for general counseling and support to international students, and serves as a visionary and architect for student-centered programming. The Director provides resources and services, facilitates educational and social programs in the Center for International Student Engagement, and supervises student staff.
The Center serves as an important resource to the international student campus community by building and supporting initiatives and student engagement that center a global perspective. Within and beyond the Center, the Director advocates for initiatives that contribute to international students’ sense of belonging and well-being, and contributes to a vibrant global community. The Director works in collaboration with the Resource Centers Team (RCT)—the Center for Diversity & Student Leadership, Queer Resource Center, Multicultural Resource Center, and the Women’s & Gender Center. As well as with other campus partners including the Office of Immigration Services, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Dean of the Faculty, Global Education Office, Advancement, etc. through educational, social, and cultural programming that centers and affirms the international student community.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Management and Operational
- Management of the day-to-day operations of the Center for International Student Engagement
- Serve as a core member of the Resource Centers Leadership Team
- Provide functional supervision of the Administrative Assistant for the Resource Centers
- Serves as a direct liaison to the Director of Immigration Services
- Engage in strategic planning and assessment of the Center
- Gather data and prepare annual reports.
- Budget planning and monitoring of expenditures.
- Consistently evaluate operational efficiencies and opportunities to streamline processes
- Evaluate resource allocations and make recommendations for necessary systems of support
- Supervise team of 6-10 student staff
- Recruit, hire, onboard, and train student staff
- Guide student staff through the development of programs
- Manage student staff professional development
- Manage student staff scheduling
- Manage student staff hiring
- Manage summer intern selection
Leadership and Student Support
- Program Development, Facilitation, and Evaluation
- Design, implement and oversee a comprehensive International Student Orientation program
- Plan and coordinate New International Student Pre-Orientation
- Develop academic and co-curricular educational programming, as a Center and in partnership with other campus organizations, to build community, provide education, and create skills-building opportunities to synthesize social, academic, personal, political, and career development-related learning and maximize the Amherst experience.
- Plan and coordinate events during the year to support Koenig Scholars and UC Davis Scholars
- Generate assessment protocols to evaluate social and resource-based programs
- Create and facilitate campus programs, workshops, and trainings that support the mission of CISE
- Promote faculty, staff, alumni, and community involvement through intellectual, social, and cultural programs
- Create a plan for ongoing engagement of international students
- Serve on various committees across the College (including but not limited to the Orientation Implementation Committee, Immigration Working Group, Meal Plan Exemption Committee, Student Leadership Education and Development team)
- Collaborate at the divisional and institutional level to develop and create programming, workshops, trainings, and other opportunities related to infusing and expanding intersectional and interdisciplinary commitments to inclusive excellence.
- As a member of the Resource Centers Team work to co-create, develop, and implement programs, resources, and services that highlight the intersections of identity and community
- Marketing and Communications
- Maintain and add to the website to include more dynamic and all-encompassing resources for international students
- Manage the creation of promotional materials
- Maintain audience and social media accounts
- Engage in communications to further anchor global realities across the College
- Student Support
- Meet with and counsel students through challenges
- Work collaboratively with Case Management to create systems of support for international students in crisis
- Provide leadership and organizational development education to student organizations engaged in work related to the mission of the CISE
- Master’s degree or foreign equivalent
- 4-5 years of progressive experience working with international students in higher education, and/or global social justice initiatives
- Commitment to exploring the intersection of international education and social justice
- Program development, implementation, and evaluation experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Cross-cultural awareness and competence and effective communication, both verbally and written.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, time management, and organizational skills
- Master’s degree in education or a social science field of relevance to international affairs
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org