Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Operations and Crisis Centre (UNOCC). The Director of the UNOCC reports to the Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination through the Director of Strategic Planning and Monitoring in the Executive Office of the Secretary-General (EOSG). The incumbent keeps the Director for Coordination and Shared Services (ODCSS) of the Departments of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs and Peace Operations (DPPA-DPO) regularly informed, with regard to services for the peace and security pillar. The UNOCC receives strategic oversight from a Client Board of principals from each of the client entities.
UNOCC provides global situational awareness crisis and risk management, as well as facilitates cross-pillar decision-making in the UN. The UNOCC is a multi-party entity, which includes the Peacekeeping Situation Centre (SitCen) and staff members seconded by client entities.
As the Director of the UNOCC, the incumbent is responsible for directing and managing the 24/7 operations of the Centre, further enhancing its role as the information and crisis hub at UN Headquarters and realigning its capabilities, in line with organizational strategies, to serve senior UN management and clients as a centre of excellence for cross-pillar decision-making support on developments in the field. In this context, s/he is responsible for fostering the long-term development of the UNOCC, facilitating client engagement on all aspects of the Centre, incl. through the high-level UNOCC Client Board. This includes championing and implementing strategic changes to the Centre as directed by the UNOCC Client Board, including as a result of a review of the UNOCC or as a requirement for the implementation of the Secretary-General’s Data Strategy, as well as his digital and innovation initiatives.
Accountable to UN leadership and the UNOCC Client Board, the Chief of Service of the UNOCC directs and manages her/his team to ensure the Centre delivers:
- Support to senior management in gaining a common picture of the situation in the field through evidence-based, data-driven and insight-rich products that facilitate cross-pillar situational awareness, analysis and decision-making in management fora and client entities by leveraging internal/ external sources, incl. UN reporting from countries with Peacekeeping Operations, Special Political Missions or a UN country team presence;
- Services that enhance cross-pillar information sharing, data management and analytics in support of the Strategic Coordination pillar of the Executive Office of the Secretary-General and all client entities, including maintenance of key reference data catalogues and other data-driven products that facilitate cross-pillar collaboration;
- Services that facilitate the scanning, early warning and tracking of cross-pillar risks and crises in the field, as well as the coordination of a timely and effective UN Headquarters’ response to crises in the field. This includes supporting the designated Crisis Manager and Crisis Coordinator including through advice on procedures; chairing the UN Crisis Management Working Group; ensuring the implementation of the UN Crisis Management Policy among all relevant entities and monitoring compliance; and supporting crisis preparedness through the delivery and facilitation of risk and crisis management tabletop exercises for the UN system, especially the Peace and Security pillar.
In close consultation with the Director for Coordination and Shared Services in DPPA-DPO, the incumbent is also responsible for:
- Situational awareness & crisis management services, as well as backstopping of Joint Operations Centres (JOCs)/Joint Mission Analysis Centres (JMACs) in the field, through management of the Peacekeeping Situation Centre (SitCen). In this regard, the incumbent oversees SitCen operations, ensuring the appropriate coordination of activities, directing staff and addressing key issues in order to carry out the mandate of the SitCen;
- Ongoing advice to the Head of Department concerning evidence-based, data-driven and insight-rich reporting capabilities on peace and security and cross-pillar issues, ensuring the quality and relevance of situational reporting from peacekeeping operations in the field;
- Publication and distribution of summary situation reports and briefs, as well as the provision of briefings to senior department officials on peace operations and other areas relevant to UN work;
- Availability of cross-pillar data and information regarding humanitarian, development, human rights and operational topics to teams and clients the peace and security pillar;
- Effective collaboration and coordination with other offices and division in the UN Secretariat, UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes;
- Development and implementation of policies, procedures and products for responding to risks, emergencies and crises in the field;
- Acting as a point of reference for the establishment, functioning and strengthening of JOCs and JMACs in actual or potential peacekeeping operations, enhancing the professionalism of JOCs and JMACs through JOC and JMAC policies and guidelines, as well as through annual JOC and JMAC training courses;
- Other responsibilities as requested by the Under-Secretaries General or Director.
With overall management responsibility, the incumbent ensures the high-quality functioning of the UNOCC, its business continuity and implementation of UNOCC policies and processes, delivering:
- Continuous improvement projects and programmes to enhance the capabilities of the Centre, in the areas of data, digital, innovation and results management;
- Development and continual updating of guidance documents, staff training and preparedness; Development of an appropriate operating budget, timely recruitment and selection of staff, and effective management of UNOCC staff, staff well-being, assets and other process improvement plans;
- Management of seconded personnel from departments and entities across the UN system, which are under the operational direction of the UNOCC Director and have dual reporting lines to the UNOCC and their home entity.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN system and peace and security, humanitarian, development and human rights operations.
- Ability to develop and deliver strategies, policy, procedures, innovation and change management initiatives.
- Ability to make decisions, formulate options and recommendations on operational and managerial issues.
- Ability to guide the management, integration and analysis of data and information in support of decision-making.
- Ability to coordinate / identify the data and information needs and interests of clients.
- Ability to participate in the development of complex, clear and concise analytical products derived from qualitative and quantitative insights.
- Ability to provide evidence-based briefs to management.
- Commitment to incorporate gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments.
- Adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Serves as a role model that others want to follow.
- Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support.
- Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions.
- Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo.
JUDGMENT & DECISION MAKING
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly.
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision.
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them.
- Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization.
- Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.
- Checks assumptions against facts.
- Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision.
- Makes tough decisions when necessary.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in Political Science, International Relations, Business Administration, Management, Data Science, Information Science or related fields. . A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in international affairs, information management, analytics, security or intelligence, incl. policy-oriented work at the national and the international levels is required.
- Experience in risk and crisis management including knowledge of risk modelling and simulation, is required.
- Experience in qualitative and data-driven reporting is required.
- At least one year of experience in a UN peacekeeping or similar field operations is required.
- Experience in advanced analytics, geospatial analysis, statistical methods is desirable.
- Experienced in digital- and data-driven organizational transformations is desirable.
- Experience in dealing with senior-level decision makers and interacting with military, police, and civilian personnel is desirable.
- Experience in supervising a team in an international, dynamic environment is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second UN language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org