Pencils of Promise (“PoP”) is a for-purpose organization that works to improve public education systems
in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos. We believe that where you start in life should not determine your future
and unlocking the full potential of students around the world starts with supportive and encouraging
classrooms that foster a passion for reading. Our teams in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos oversee all aspects
of our pillar programs: school builds, Teacher Support, and WASH. The team based in New York City helps
clear the path for the programs to be implemented successfully under local leadership and provides the
necessary operational and programmatic support to do so.
The Vice President (VP), Development will work in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and
Executive Leadership Team to provide strategic direction to cultivate revenue streams and avenues for
fundraising while furthering the overall mission of Pencils of Promise. The VP, sitting on the Executive
Leadership Team, will have the opportunity to develop a team of fundraising professionals that will
inspire and motivate donors, and their colleagues, to innovate and support PoP’s impactful work around
Within one month, you’ll...
● Create 30-60-90 day goals with your supervisor, the CEO
● With the CEO, have introductions to Board Members and major donors in order to understand
PoP’s donor landscape and ultimately build out your portfolio
● Understand and provide input on PoP’s vision for fundraising and growth in collaboration with
the CEO and the Senior Vice President (SVP) of External Affairs
● Begin to refine Impact Descriptions for two specific roles within development that will be hired by
June 2021. These roles will oversee and/or support buckets such as: grass roots campaigners,
PoP clubs and councils, annual gala donor strategy, donor cultivation events, among other
● Connect with all NYC team members and leaders in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos to learn more
Within three months, you’ll...
● Connect with Board Members and key major donors ($25,000+), taking several into your own
portfolio for you to steward, renew and leverage connections with
● Finalize a future state structure for the Development Team and partner with the Operations Team
to have these roles actively in recruitment
● Have an understanding around all streams of funding at PoP, including how foundations and
corporate opportunities are pursued by your colleagues, so that you can actively partner to
●Develop a deep and collaborative partnership with the SVP of External Affairs and the External
Affairs team as you will partner on many fundraising initiatives (annual gala, campaigns, and
● Have begun cultivating new relationships with major donors ($25,000+) based on your personal
● Have the space to research, ideate and plan for new initiatives and opportunities
Within six months, you’ll...
● Have hired both of your new team members, with full support of Operations team
● Establish clear 30-60-90 goal plans with new members of the Development team
● Secured two new gifts from your network, resulting in at least $50K in new donations
● Laid the groundwork, and be actively stewarding, five or more new major donors that do not
currently exist in the PoP ecosystem of contacts
● Have created a framework for generating endowment funds that can support specific entities
within PoP’s work
● Build upon innovative fundraising networks, such as cryptocurrency, and create a framework for
how this network can be fully maximized
● Develop a proposal for other members of Executive Leadership that outlines an informative and
innovative plan to generate and sustain individual giving with explicit insight into a multi-year
fundraising plan and strategy that diversifies current funding streams to increase grants from
individuals, family foundations and corporate foundations, government contracts, and incorporate
Within one year, you’ll...
● Be fully managing a high-performing Development Team which, in partnership with the CEO and
External Affairs team, drives the organization to raise over $8M annually
● Secured six new gifts resulting in $150K in new donations
● Have created a comprehensive stewarding process for all individual donors, managed by you and
your team (i.e. prospecting, outreach, conversion) which aims to secure major donors who
commit to six-figure gifts over multiple years and cultivate those relationships and their
During your time at Pencils of Promise, you’ll be able to teach...
● Actionable strategies for meeting and exceeding goals with individual fundraising
● How to identify and secure lucrative revenue streams
● How to track fundraising trends to use the information to predict future opportunities and to
avoid downtrends in gifts
During your time at Pencils of Promise, you’ll be able to learn...
● The ins and outs of education in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos
● From the lived and professional experiences of your colleagues
● How to partner with your colleagues in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos to drive localized fundraising
Want to join the PoP family?
PoP strives to be an inclusive place where everyone can grow. So however you identify, whatever
background you bring with you, and regardless of how many boxes you can check, please apply if this is a
role that would make you excited to come into work every day and we’ll discuss together.
PoP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual
based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This
policy applies to every aspect of employment at PoP, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement,
Benefits: Salary is industry competitive; 401K with employer contribution; 20 days of PTO with 5 rollover
days; 12 paid holidays; paid parental leave, flexible working hours; option to enroll in employer
sponsored health, dental and/or vision insurance; access to both healthcare and commuter flexible
spending accounts; employer covered life, long-term disability, and accidental death and dismemberment
insurance; free access to the One Medical network of primary care services in New York City.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org