Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Office for Sustainable Development (UNOSD), in the city of Incheon, Republic of Korea. UNOSD is a project office of the Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG), in the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA). DSDG acts as the Secretariat for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), providing substantive support and capacity-building for the goals and their related thematic issues, including water, energy, climate, oceans, urbanization, transport, science and technology, the Global Sustainable Development Report (GSDR), partnerships and Small Island Developing States (SIDS). DSDG plays a key role in the evaluation of UN systemwide implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and on advocacy and outreach activities relating to the SDGs. The Senior Development Management Expert reports directly to the UNOSD Head of Office.
Under the supervision of the Head of Office and within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the management and substantive aspects of the work of the Office. In particular, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
- Manages and oversees the training programme of the Office, including design and implementation of the capacity development programme; addresses the dissemination of research results and lessons learned on sustainable development, in particular in the field of the green and circular economy in the context of sustainable development, poverty eradication and climate change; ensures logistical arrangements for the implementation of activities as per approved workplan;
- Conceives and plans, in coordination and consultation with other professionals of the Office, expert group meetings, seminars, training workshops and activities to be led by the Office, including identification of resource requirements and liaise with the Division for Sustainable Development Goals for the implementation of these activities;
- Contributes to the formulation of the programme of work for the Office, including budget discussions as they pertain to her/his area of responsibility and identifies strategic priorities and resource requirements in line with the rules and regulations of the Organization, including review, analysis and finalization of the work plan of the Office, incorporating revisions in line with the Steering Committee recommendations as necessary; manages and monitors funds for the implementation of the activities of the Office in line with the rules and regulations of the Organization, including allotments and related elements;
- Maintains active liaison and cooperation with national governments, including overseeing and managing the organization and logistical arrangements for the implementation of the training programme of the Office as well as workshops, conferences and other events; manages relationships with other training providers and programmes linked to the work of the Office, and their programmatic, administrative and financial implications;
- Oversees the performance of staff, consultants and experts working within the area of responsibility;
- Represents UNOSD in international, regional and national level meetings relating to the responsibilities of the Office;
- Performs other relevant duties, as required by this position.
- Demonstrated competence and knowledge on issues in sustainable development, including development management, economics, environmental protection, social development and their principles and inter-linkages;
- Ability to produce reports and conduct independent research on development management topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources;
- Ability to manage training programmes and make recommendations for implementation;
- Understanding of the programmes and activities of the United Nations system in implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the SIDS Accelerated Modalities of Action (SAMOA) Pathway (Samoa Pathway), the Paris Agreement for Climate Change and other internationally agreed development goals and frameworks;
- Ability to think strategically and to identify key emerging sustainable development issues and related policy implications. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments;
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
- Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments;
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Managerial Competencies: Judgement/Decision-making:
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly;
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision;
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them;
- Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization;
- Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information;
- Checks assumptions against facts;
- Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision;
- Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in development management, development economics, public policy, social sciences, business administration or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in development management, analysis, policy formulation and application, for instance, in the field of climate change and green economy or related field is required;
- International level experience and experience with respect to the challenges of development in developing countries and countries with economies in transition is an advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required; knowledge of another UN official language is highly desirable. Knowledge of Korean is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org