Citizen Diplomacy International is looking for a passionate, globally-minded and detail-oriented person to join our team and help us in our mission to connect Philadelphia to the world.
Citizen Diplomacy International is the Philadelphia region's international relations organization connecting Philadelphians to the world, providing international education, and promoting the best of Philadelphia.
We work in partnership with Philadelphia's Sister Cities and U.S. Department of State’s leadership exchange programs to engage the people of our region in world affairs, to strengthen the reputation of the United States around the world, and to promote learning across cultures. Through virtual and in-person programs, we create "face to face" opportunities for Americans and international guests to exchange knowledge and culture, discuss global challenges, and form their own views of U.S. and foreign policy. Our network of 'Citizen Diplomats' are both experts in their fields, from innovation, entrepreneurship, government, education, sustainability and journalism, and gracious Americans who share their values and "American cultural experiences" through informal conversations or dinners with families in homes and businesses executives. Building on 28 years of Sister Cities High School Exchanges, we ensure youth are educated to be global citizens through our virtual Citizen Diplomat Academy. These connections continue to be powerful tools to reinforce American security and build a more civil, peaceful and prosperous world.
Overview of the Position
As the Virtual Public Programming and Marketing Manager, you should be enthusiastic, creative and detail-oriented, and enjoy working as part of a small, mission-driven team. Our public programs promote the best of Philadelphia and provide every citizen of our region the opportunity to learn about world affairs by meeting "face to face" with international peers and exchanging knowledge and culture. Serving as an organizational Storyteller, the Virtual Public Programming and Marketing Manager translates programs into compelling content for multiple marketing channels to connect donors and the broader community, who can not attend events, to our mission. This role will involve producing weekly virtual programs for 40-100 registrants and communications in print and digital formats. The 2021 schedule includes:
- First Thursdays, one-hour professional virtual panels, and Diplomacy and Dialogue programs, weekly 30-minute conversations with international thinkers from Philadelphia, the Consular Corps Association of Philadelphia and IVLP alumni. 2021 will have 4 themes: Health and Wellness; Social Justice and Civic Action; Environment and Sustainability; and Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- The International Art World Series will virtually connect emerging arts leaders, artists, and art lovers over a candid discussion of the current state of the international art world moderated by Christine Pfister, Director and owner of Pentimenti Gallery and Honorary Consul of Switzerland.
- Culinary Diplomacy series - Frankie Olivieri and other internationally-traveled chefs, to demonstrate and talk about a culinary dish and adventure to Italy and Tel Aviv and Korea. Ticket sales will support the Citizen Diplomat Academy Youth Exchanges.
- Citizen Diplomats of the Year Awards. Honoring the Templeton Foundation in June 2021 as Women in Diplomacy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Virtual Public Programming and Marketing Manager plays a critical role in marketing and producing all public, live virtual events and programs. The Manager connects people in an intuitive manner using live, interactive Zoom programs creating authentic and engaging conversations and bringing the international exchange experience to life. Work must be conducted with the highest degree of professionalism in this dynamic, innovative and fast-moving environment.This position requires strong relationship building and deep interpersonal skills. Interactions will include Director-level, V.P. or senior contacts.The position will report directly to the Director of Development and in partnership with Communications Manager and Director of Programs.
- Oversee all production and technical aspects of virtual public programs including preparation of session-related documents, tracking of various forms of registration and attendance data, directing support staff, testing equipment and technologies and managing the back-end of zoom, liasoning with appropriate vendors and technical support as needed, in order to ensure the event runs as it should.
- During the initial stages of the event, you will participate in ideation, collaborating with team members and applying your experience and knowledge in order to help develop a plan for the execution of these ideas.
- Researching and pre-program preparation of guest speakers and Q&A participants.
- Assist with processing impact evaluation data and complete grant report requirements.
- Assist with marketing and promotion across multiple channels (creating registration pages, promotional materials and social media posts, postcards, posting on community calendars, initiating outreach to key contacts, updating website events page, etc.)
- After each event, create donor-centered compelling content for newsletters, program updates and fundraising emails to constituents
- Implement a strategy to increase email acquisition and social media followers and engagement across various social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, FB, LinkedIn).
- Research and connect with potential collaborative partners for media opportunities: press releases, blogs, podcasts, articles, etc.
- Proactive scheduling and tracking of weekly content on our communications calendars
- Organizes, prepares, and uploads event content (text, images, audio, video, etc.)
- Weekly team meetings, and other duties as assigned to support broader efforts of Citizen Diplomacy International as necessary.
- Integrate a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens in all essential duties and work responsibilities.
- A commitment to Citizen Diplomacy’s mission of connecting Philadelphia to the world and our values of inclusivity and integrity
- Must be an excellent writer, creative, capable of developing and entertaining ideas, be super attentive to detail and be able to pick up the phone and talk to people-no hiding behind email!
- Knowledge of photo editing and social media posting on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to assess situations, process relevant information and generate solutions
- Computer skills, including the use of databases and proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Google Classroom, Zoom. Experience with a/v equipment including microphones, digital video cameras, lighting/staging, webcasting technologies, DonorPerfect or graphic design experience is a plus.
- Resourceful team player with strong customer service orientation, patience, flexibility and a good sense of humor
- A commitment to fostering a collaborative, encouraging, and learning work environment
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is preferred with an emphasis in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or a related field.
- Two+ years of experience with communications, development, marketing, social media and/or event management/planning, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
Weekend and Travel Expectations
This position will require some evening work for organization events. All staff at Citizen Diplomacy International will be working remotely until June 30, 2021. The requirement to be present in the office will be evaluated on an ongoing basis, as our work needs change, and will be based on health and safety guidance from local authorities.
Compensation and benefits
- Salary range of $37,000-$40,000 depending on experience.
- This is a grant-funded position from January through December 2021 with a possible extension.
- This is a full-time, exempt position. Occasional evening and weekend work is expected.
- 15 days PTO, 11 paid holidays
- We provide medical (HMO), dental and vision insurance, and a 403b retirement plan.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and a writing sample (or links to your work) to [email protected] with the Virtual Public Programming and Marketing Manager in the subject line. The cover letter should highlight your qualifications, relevant experience (work or other), and share why this opportunity with Citizen Diplomacy is a strong fit. The work sample is your opportunity to show us your skills in communications. No phone calls please.
Citizen Diplomacy International is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to building a truly global Philadelphia. Women, people of color, veterans and other minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org