HJF is seeking a Finance Deputy Director to support the Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Rockledge Office in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
The Finance Deputy Director will support financial management of the HJF component of U.S. Military HIV Research Program (MHRP), the Emerging Infectious Disease Branch (EIDB) as well as other awards supporting the mission of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR).
The Finance Deputy Director will work closely with the Finance Director, finance team, and HJF and USG program leadership as well as HJF home office to provide proactive analysis and financial insight to ensure the achievement of business initiatives. He/she will support program budgeting, reporting and other financial management functions. He/she will lead or coordinate systems improvement initiatives and training.
- Working with the Finance Director, plan and coordinate annual budgeting exercises, ensuring both activity, site and overall project budget accurately reflects planned activities, and complies with contract regulations and funding.
- Support other routine budgeting/forecasting cycles, proposals, and ad hoc budget requests.
- Track budget approvals and other planning document development to confirm they are finalized and shared on time with budget owners and stakeholders.
- Support management and oversight of program overhead and indirect budgets.
Reporting/Decision Support (25%)
- Support financial management of portfolio at all levels: award, Contract Line Item Number (CLIN), country and activity.
- Help coordinate overall program and CLIN level analysis and schedule of routine reports/reviews with leadership. Coordinate, track and communicate revisions to program funding or budgets based on leadership input.
- Help ensure all routine monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports are completed on time, accurately and are reviewed and used by budget owners and activity managers. Support communication and coordination between finance and program teams, both in the US and at sites. Facilitate proactive solutions, as needed.
- Develop dashboards and other mechanisms to analyze and report project financial status, both for internal and external audiences.
Systems improvement (30%)
- Create systems to ensure quality, timeliness and transparency; examples include documented standards for expenditure review and budget development, defined risk indicators and mechanisms to detect them, tracking of reports to identify gaps or delays, etc.
- Work with Finance Director to use existing or new tools to provide financial information to stakeholders in a timelier way and reflective of matrixed project management. Examples include use of Insight (HJF and Adaptive) to provide budget owners self-service real-time expenditures against budgets, potential modification of cost center coding to manage spending of specific support across budgets, revisions to the budgeting template to allow project teams to accurately run budget models, and use of collaboration software to make financial information more easily available.
- Training – help identify areas to enrich both US and site finance staff knowledge and coordinate training or knowledge sharing.
- Support monitoring of overall financial performance. Help analyze overall cooperative agreement financial performance.
- Track funding – review all agreement modifications and ensure funding is accurately assigned to cost centers and activities.
- Work with HJF HQ to ensure program expenditures are properly reflected in billing, specifically targeting lines of funding.
- Facilitate effective coordination and communication between teams, particularly across activities with multiple stakeholders or executed by a matrix of project owners.
- Ensures all program financial practices comply with HJF, USG and other funding agency regulations.
- Step in for Director and other finance team staff as needed to ensure no gaps in coverage.
Demonstrated expert proficiency in MS Office, particularly in Excel. Significant experience using databases, accounting, and financial management software (such as Oracle), financial planning and reporting software (such as Adaptive Insights) and collaboration tools highly desirable. Must be highly organized and able to effectively manage multiple competing projects and priorities on an ongoing basis. Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to concisely and accurately complex financial concepts and issues to non-financial audiences.
Minimum Education: Master’s degree in business related field is required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 6-8 years of relevant work experience required.
Work Environment: Set in an office work environment.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Masters or better.
6-8 years: 6-8 years of relevant work experience required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org