Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using it's global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI's flagship adolescent program, Adolescents 360 (A360) is recruiting new talent to support the next phase of the project. With funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Children's Investment Fund Foundation, A360 has partnered with young people and government health systems to design, pilot and scale adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) interventions which position contraception as a tool to achieving girls' self-defined goals. It operates across Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania. During the first phase of the project, A360 supported over 420,000 adolescent girls in adopting modern contraception.
A360 has now embarked on an ambitious new phase which will focus on: i) strengthening the existing interventions; ii) supporting host government to adopt A360's approaches; and iii) generating evidence, learning and global goods to support the adoption and replication of A360-inspired approaches by others.
PSI is looking for a new communications lead to support this third pillar of the strategy - our knowledge translation agenda. This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role in catalyzing change in ASRH policy and practice. You will be building on foundations built by others but leading an important strategic shift in our target audience and the medium and style of our communication.
This is a US based position located in our Washington, D.C. office. The individual will sit within the External Communications (EC) department but will have a matrix reporting line into A360's Director and will work primarily on the A360 project.
This is not a conventional communications role so we are looking for someone who thinks differently and can help A360 find new solutions to the longstanding challenge of knowledge translation.
Interested? Read on.
- Work with A360's global and country leadership to determine the target audiences for A360's evidence, learning and global goods.
- Work with A360's Senior Technical Advisor for Research and Learning (STA) to understand the barriers to and determinants of knowledge translation among these audiences.
- Work with A360's STA and country teams to develop strategies for engaging these audiences and disseminating evidence, learning and knowledge products effectively.
- Support A360's STA to determine the role the A360 learning hub should play in the communications strategy.
- Develop and implement annual communications plans.
- Support 4 country project directors and/or advocacy leads to develop and execute on advocacy messaging, plans and/or collateral.
- As needed, liaise with media, including fielding requests, media outreach and pitching, written opinion pieces in priority outlets, etc.
- Support A360's STA to evaluate how fit for purpose A360's existing knowledge products are in relation to the communication strategy.
- Design and implement strategies to collect and analyze data on who is accessing A360's knowledge products.
- Design and implement strategies to capture feedback on knowledge products' readability, content quality, and actionable format from our target audiences.
- Lead on the packaging of knowledge products, including sourcing and managing graphic designers and translators.
- Support A360's learning advisor to package project's technical learnings into external communications materials.
Website and social media
- Support A360's STA to periodically evaluate how fit for purpose A360's learning hub is, in relation to the communication strategy.
- Work with a web designer to re-imagine the website accordingly.
- Design and implement strategies to capture feedback from users of A360's learning hub.
- Design and implement a monitoring and evaluation strategy for A360's learning hub, including routinely profiling our users and capturing feedback on navigability, readability and content quality.
- Design and implement strategies to increase the traffic to A360's learning hub and the perceived credibility of its knowledge products.
- Work with the A360 global and country teams to develop content for the website and related social media.
- Source and manage graphic design, photography and videography consultants.
- Monitor upcoming national, regional and global conferences and prioritize which are most strategic for A360 to contribute to.
- Develop strategies for A360's presence at regional and global conferences.
- As required, support country teams to develop strategies for their presence at national conferences.
- Coordinate the logistics for regional and global conferences.
- Help prep individuals representing A360 at conferences.
- Develop and implement strategies to promote A360's profile and reputation among donors and the sector's thought leaders.
- Act as a guardian of the A360 brand, ensuring all external communications are aligned with the brand values and design system.
- Advise A360's country team on the intervention-specific brands.
Crisis preparedness and management
- Support country teams to develop and implement communication crisis prevention, mitigation and management strategies.
- Develop and implement a crisis prevention, mitigation and management strategy for A360 at a global level.
What are we looking for?
- Relevant Bachelor's degree (communications / advocacy / public health / policy).
- 3+ years of relevant experience (communications / knowledge translation / behavior change / advocacy).
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Pragmatic, hands on, can-do attitude.
- Proficiency in MS Office apps and social media.
- Graphic design and/or Canva skills would be a bonus.
- Knowledge of social media as an external communications tool
- Content creation smarts, and the ability to write a blog post from soup to nuts
- Experience supporting advocacy efforts and collaborating with advocacy counterparts globally.
- Ability to create tailored messaging and map out a work plan in support of external communications and/or advocacy objectives.
- Prior in-house communications or PR agency experience preferred.
- Someone who cares about sexual and reproductive health and rights, with an interest in youth access to contraception.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don't let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren't afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You're independent and a free thinker, but you're ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org