At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
As part of the business development team, the Business Development Officer will engage donors and focus on new business development opportunities with the US Government. Develop and execute a business development strategy for the portfolio they oversee. Lead in identifying opportunities that align to FH’s Heartbeat and prepare a plan for the preparation of large proposals. Research and prepare trends analyses of donor funding and support the development of new grant opportunities.
External Engagement and Strategy:
- Network and build relationships with key decision makers within the US Government (USG) branches and potential partner organizations.
- Increase organizational engagement and profile at relevant meetings, events, and within resource mobilization or where donor-specific peer networks are established.
- Develop and execute business development portfolio strategy.
- In collaboration with the Resource Development Team and International Operations, identify and develop portfolio propositions and differentiators that will make FH a partner of choice.
- Facilitate the development of strategic partnerships with other organizations and donors.
- Contribute to strategic initiatives and thought leadership of the organization by participating in relevant working groups, developing relevant tools and guidance, and representing FH externally.
- Build a network of professional business contacts within development and relief sectors.
New Business Acquisition:
- Provide strategic guidance for proposal direction and design.
- Provide strategic direction to the proposal process as a follow through on business intelligence.
- Monitor and share information about new opportunities, donor-funding trends, and relevant funding information from external sources of news.
- Provide business intelligence about donor direction ahead of the release of opportunities.
- Understand priority countries strengths and programmatic models, and research/monitor the market for key potential opportunities.
- Gather technical input and competitive intelligence from country offices, technical units, subject matter specialists, and other resource persons.
- Develop comprehensive pre-positioning for proposals.
- Collaborate with the teams in the proposal development area ensuring that proposals meet funder specifications as well as Food for the Hungry quality standards.
- Research and prospect for new opportunities to ensure a robust pipeline of engagement within the market.
- Plan and prepare materials to highlight and raise FH’s profile.
- As needed, review, write, edit and proofread proposal sections or full proposals.
- Help negotiate partnership agreements and budgets.
Portfolio Revenue Generation:
- Strategize and generate revenue for assigned portfolio.
- Identify and assess new business opportunities toward portfolio revenue goals.
- Monitor, analyze and forecast new business development opportunities raising targets/progress against targets.
- Prepare analytical and performance reports to show the effectiveness of the proposals being pursued.
- Ensure the efficient and effective administration of data and information relating to business development portfolio.
- Identify potential risks and mitigation strategies for potential business opportunities.
- Work with Resource Development Team and International Operations to meet donor strategies and guidelines in proposal design.
- Manage donor relationships to ensure ongoing engagement that will benefit FH.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external donor debriefs.
- Maintain accurate information about business development opportunities in internal databases and assist with analysis of proposal development data.
- Ensure that relevant information is accessible to and circulated to other portfolio members.
- Contribute to the strategy and continuous improvement of FH’s programmatic model.
- Participate in strategy reviews, strategy development and operationalization thereof.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Level Specifications
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs expressed in The Heartbeat.
- Demonstrated computer-operating skills, including proficiency in Google platforms, Microsoft Office products, and virtual technologies such as Skype and/or Zoom.
- Ability to sit/stand at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of time per year in the US and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
- Several years of experience in grant donor engagement, institutional funding acquisition, and programmatic experience.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Existing relationships with USG and multilateral grant donors.
- Track record of guiding winning grant proposals.
- Technical expertise in international development.
- Self-starter in dynamic work environment.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from donors, groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org