This role has overall responsibility for CAFOD’s work in Sudan across a complex and diverse array of programmes and partners. Responsible for leading and developing programme strategy, overseeing large budgets and programmes and managing a large team as well as holding relations with internal and external stakeholders, including authorities, Church and donors. This is a senior leadership position requiring a strategic thinker who can work independently with strong analytical and communication skills and significant experience in the sector.
Strategy and Programme Development and Management (25%)
- Provide vision and direction for the development and implementation of CAFOD’s strategy in Sudan, ensuring shared vision with staff and partners, and in line with CAFOD’s vision, mission and values, specifically ‘Our Common Home’ and Integral Ecology approaches.
- Ensure all programmes (humanitarian, development and advocacy) and projects meet CAFOD’s quality standards and are appraised, monitored and evaluated according to procedures and partnership values.
- Initiate the appraisal and funding of new programmes of work in line with CAFOD’s strategic priorities, bringing in best practice and innovation, and ensure appropriate response to requests for humanitarian and development support.
- Hold oversight of programme risk and ensure appropriate mitigation measures, adaptive management and problem solving.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of CAFOD’s work, inputting into regional and thematic processes and policies, and provide ideas, initiatives and information for development education, fundraising, campaigning and advocacy work.
Team management (20%)
- Overall leadership and oversight of CAFOD Sudan team in all locations, ensuring adherence to human resource policies, CAFOD’s management standards, values and working culture.
- Line management and support of direct reports, including performance management, coaching and individual development.
- Ensure effective and appropriate systems and processes for team learning and development.
- Lead wider cross organisational teams/initiatives relating to the programme, such as media and communications work, advocacy, co-financing initiatives, humanitarian response.
- Ensure regular Country Management Team meetings and decisions appropriately disseminated to staff.
- Ensure timely and appropriate decision making in a fast changing context
- Financial and funding accountability (20%)
- Overall budget responsibility and oversight, including plan, manage, and regularly review budgets (staffing, office, programme, donor) in line with CAFOD’s financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting in accordance with CAFOD’s financial management standards.
- Ensure implementation and regular review of CAFOD’s funding strategy, including horizon scanning, networking and ensuring the country team is accessing and managing institutional funding in accordance with CAFOD’s strategic objectives, policies and procedures.
- Ensure optimal cost recovery, based on sound systems of budgeting, monitoring and compliance reporting and that CAFOD and back-donor funds are used in the most effective and prudent way, demonstrating good stewardship and compliance with CAFOD’s financial management standards as well full compliance with donor requirements in relation to institutional funding secured.
Representation and relationships (20%)
- Effective representation in Sudan with Government authorities at Federal and State level, NGOs, UN agencies and other international organisations including participation in relevant coordination fora.
- Liaise with the Sudan country offices of institutional donors in order to raise the profile of CAFOD’s work.
- Effective representation of CAFOD in-country in relationships with the Catholic Church, Caritas and CIDSE sister agencies, respecting CAFOD’s partnership values and ethos.
- Oversee partner relations, ensuring alignment with CAFOD’s partnership values, holding senior relationships.
Country office management (10%)
- Ensure compliance with relevant Sudanese legislation and requirements including registration, labour law etc., ensure documentation is up-to-date and secure.
- Ensure the Sudan country security plan is accessible and up-to-date, and provide effective security management, including staff security and risk mapping.
- Oversee, maintain and protect office assets and support systems including computer software and hardware, vehicles, casual staff, bank accounts and procurement.
- Ensure that all necessary policies and procedures are in place and followed by staff in terms of security, procurement, safeguarding, use of equipment, medical and insurance cover, local terms and conditions – including salary scales. Provide for training of staff in such policies as necessary.
Communication & Learning (5%)
- Act as spokesperson for CAFOD in Sudan and with external stakeholders, including media where appropriate.
- Increase awareness about the work of CAFOD’s partners with CAFOD’s constituency in England and Wale and strengthen our corporate education, fundraising, campaigning and communications work.
- Facilitate partner involvement in CAFOD’s campaigning work and, vice versa, to increase CAFOD’s engagement with partners’ campaigns.
- Ensure that staff are properly informed and appropriately consulted on key issues relevant to the Sudan country programme.
- Ensure that staff are properly informed and appropriately consulted on relevant key organisational issues.
This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Understanding our context
- Understanding Catholic identity; requires sympathy with and understanding of Catholic values and teachings. Able to work within faith based networks and structures.
- Understanding CAFOD; commitment to CAFOD’s vision, mission and values; knowledge and understanding of CAFOD’s approach to development and humanitarian emergencies.
- Understanding international development; sophisticated understanding of current issues and trends in international development including best practice approaches.
- Managing ourselves; able to work independently, self-motivated, ability to prioritise and work under pressure. Sets an example and models organisational values.
- Working with others; strong commitment to and experience of partnership working, experience of working with diverse teams and in cross-cultural contexts; manages conflict appropriately; can operate in complex structures.
- Communicating; outstanding written and spoken communication skills in English, ability to articulate complex ideas to different audiences, ability to represent the organisation at senior level with diverse interlocutors.
- Looking outwards; in-depth knowledge of Sudanese context, excellent analytical skills and judgement, experience of risk and security management.
Making change happen
- Managing resources; proven experience overseeing and managing large complex budgets, assets and office.
- Achieving results; can provide a vision and clear sense of priorities for the team, demonstrated ability to develop and manage complex programmes across advocacy, development and humanitarian areas.
- Managing our performance good leadership and people management practices, ability to lead and manage change, experience leading and managing diverse teams.
- Taking the lead; can provide vision and strategic leadership including developing and implementing strategies and managing change.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to utilise and oversee project cycle management approaches, including programme development, monitoring, accountability and learning.
- Experience of working and liaising with international bodies and consortia (Caritas, FCDO, EU, UN and NGOs) and demonstrated success with fund-raising approaches;
- Experience or knowledge of managing humanitarian response in complex emergencies
- Ability and willingness to travel, often at short notice and in difficult conditions
- Crisis management experience
- Expertise in one or more relevant programme area; humanitarian response with particular focus on food security, WASH, and Cash programming; resilient livelihoods; and women’s empowerment
- Experience of applying programme quality approaches including safeguarding, dignity and inclusion, and integration
- Understanding and experience of approaches to ensure accountability in humanitarian and development work
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org