Supports the activities of editing, writing and publishing of documents and presentations for a global USAID-funded, 5-year, multi-million-dollar program intended to support disease-endemic countries to control and/or eliminate neglected tropical disease (NTDs) with proven, cost-effective public health interventions to treat and measure treatment impact against seven NTDs: lymphatic filariasis, blinding trachoma, onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis, and three intestinal worms known as soil-transmitted helminths. This includes ensuring that insights, best practices and emerging innovations are utilized and generated by the program and its grantees. Responsible for crafting content, disseminating information, and handling the program’s information and knowledge libraries. Works across all communications platforms, including email, website, social media platforms and company intranet. Handles the program website and disseminates NTD messages and content, success stories, blogs and social media posts. Reviews, edits and drafts changes to program documents/deliverables. Plans and coordinates meetings and events as needed.
- Researches, writes, edits, and leads production of content for program website. Ensures that content is accurate, engaging, and consistent in style and tone.
- Provides publicity and promotional support for special events and community outreach activities, e.g., works with countries and partners on developing and amplifying key communication campaigns, such as the annual celebration of World NTD Day.
- Provides facilitation, content management, and knowledge management support to the Act to End NTDs | West Program.
- Collaborates regularly with the USAID NTD Communications Lead on communication planning and production, ensuring compliance with branding and marking policy, VIP engagement in Act | West activities, and fulfillment of various ad hoc requests.
- Works in coordination with technical/subject matter specialists to transform program information into engaging content.
- Handles the capture and distribution of information on program outcomes, methods, strategies, guidelines, progress, lessons learned and best practices.
- Develops and disseminates success stories, blog posts, technical briefs, feature articles, social media content, videos, and many other content forms following USAID standard formats and expectations.
- Develops and disseminates a quarterly electronic newsletter to national partners and grantees.
- Works closely with the Act | West Senior Management Team to produce key program deliverables such as, monthly reports, semi-annual reports, work plans, strategies, final reports, etc.
- Manages Act | West’s Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Flickr social media channels, contributes content, and ensures regular implementation of the content calendar.
- Participates in design and development of communications materials that are responsive to the needs of the client and program.
- Manages Act | West’s biweekly communications working group and regularly participates in a variety of Act | West programmatic meetings to provide communication guidance and technical assistance to a wide range of activities.
- Supports the implementation of communication aspects of Act | West program activities, such as VIP engagement and communication planning for NTD sustainability planning meetings, high-level advocacy events, NTD activity launch events, and disease elimination events, among others.
- Develops terms of reference for the hiring of photojournalists, documentary production teams, and other communication services at HQ and in the countries and assists Act | West country teams with contracting and content management and dissemination.
- Engages regularly with the global NTD community and relevant external partners via membership on various working groups to contribute to global NTD elimination and control efforts and promote Act | West’s thought leadership and program achievements.
- Is considered the trusted “go-to” person by program management.
- Serves as project manager for assigned projects, ensuring quality and smooth production from start to finish of project.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Highly self-directed, with the ability to work independently and handle critical work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Evidence of strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to translate technical content into plain language as well as to write coherent, compelling stories geared toward a variety of audiences of varying backgrounds.
- Analytical ability with excellent problem solving and research skills.
- Excellent attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture.
- Working knowledge of concepts, procedures, and practices with content management systems and website development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in communications related to international public health and/or development.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive, collaborative relationships with staff and partners (internal and external) at all levels.
- Highly responsive to internal and external requests.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems that require problem solving skills.
- Makes independent decisions based on experience and knowledge of company policies, procedures, and operations.
- Decisions made generally affect own job or specific functional area.
Supervision Given / Received:
- May have supervisory responsibility.
- Receives instructions on new assignments.
- Reports to Manager, Associate Director or Director.
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Communication, international relations or related field.
- Experience in information management/knowledge management for an international health program.
- Typically requires 8+ years of writing, editing, publication and content management experience
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff
- Experience writing regular newsletter, news bulletin or other similar forum based on information and data, preferably within the context of an international health program
- Experience writing, editing and developing accounts or brief articles and dissemination of program information across various communications platforms.
- Able to read, write and speak proficient English
- Proficiency in French and familiarity with the West African cultures is a plus.
- Prior experience working with USAID or with USAID-funded projects is highly desirable.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 20 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal-based content management system, Mailchimp, Zoom webinar technology
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org