The mission of the External Relations, Partnerships and Resource Mobilization (ERP) Department is to lead the official relationships between the Pan American Sanitary Bureau (PASB) and the international community; mobilize political leadership and support especially in high-level political fora; lead, guide and facilitate resource mobilization at the international level, and build partnerships and collaborative arrangements to support PAHO and the Region’s health strategies and goals. ERP manages the PAHO Secretariat’s diplomatic functions, e.g. with Ambassadors, and supports Member States and the PAHO Director to attain health priorities and objectives.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Director (DD), and the direct supervision of the Director, External Relations, Partnerships & Resource Mobilization (ERP), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Provide technical, policy and strategic advice and leadership for the implementation of the Organization’s resource mobilization strategy; lead and oversee the resource mobilization business process for increasing voluntary contributions and potentially new donors by providing timely and strategic intelligence on trends and opportunities and partnership development; coordinate the organization-wide resource mobilization network (RMN);
- Lead the work of resource mobilization in the development of strategies, processes, and methods to identify and obtain financial resources in support of the technical cooperation priorities as defined in the PAHO Strategic Plan;
- Establish and supervise implementation of strategies for resource mobilization and work with the relevant institutions and entities to diversify and expand voluntary contributions;
- Ensure that PAHO systematically collects, appropriately disseminates and utilizes relevant and timely business intelligence on global health funding trends and priorities in its outreach to donors/contributors;
- Oversee and promote quality standards and work processes for the end-to-end cultivation and management of relationships with donors;
- Build staff capacity to strategically achieve funding targets, in coordination with the Director ERP, with the support of the Resource Mobilization Advisor, and in collaboration with PAHO technical units and country offices;
- Guide and promote the proposal development work process to ensure compliance with internal review and clearance procedures, and delivery of high-quality proposals to targeted potential donors, in coordination with the Project Management and Resource Mobilization Advisor;
- Provide guidance on effective resource mobilization and funding approaches to Executive Management, PWRs, technical and enabling entities to strengthen PAHO’s resource mobilization culture and capacity at country level and headquarters;
- Provide guidance and coordinate project management issues, as established by the Project Management Framework, and oversee project management systems, such as the corporate review process, voluntary contribution monitoring and reporting, analyses of resource mobilization efforts, and others.
- Monitor quality and timeliness of donor reporting across PAHO, and advise ERP Director and other managers as appropriate on required and aspirational funding levels;
- Represent the Organization at high level international events, meetings, negotiations of agreements, policy discussions with partners and stakeholders;
- Act as external relations, partnerships and resource mobilization liaison across the Organization’s departments, with WHO and other UN organizations, and with other public and private sector stakeholders;
- Prepare reports for the Organization’s Governing Bodies and the Pan American Sanitary Bureau Executive Management regarding ERP priorities;
- Direct and participate in the development of policies and their implementation and provide authoritative advice in relation to policy and procedures under the areas of responsibility;
- Support the preparation and execution of ERP’s Biennial Work Plan (BWP); collaborate in the development, definition and establishment of the objectives, strategy, plan and budget of the Department; be accountable for the products and services under his/her responsibility;
- Formulate and recommend policies and strategies to improve the functions of the Department; collaborate in the administration, allocation and monitoring of the Department’s financial, logistical and staff resources; collaborate in the preparation and justification of the Department’s program and budget proposals;
- Provide leadership, guidance and monitoring of supervised staff by setting clear work objectives, ensuring timely and effective use of performance reviews and feedback mechanisms, engaging in regular communications, and solving interpersonal or technical conflicts; establish and support a learning environment, to include staff development in the Organization’s fundamentals, managerial competencies and technical expertise;
- Promote a culture of ethical behavior and integrity in accordance with the Organization’s Code of Ethical Principles and Conduct in order to ensure a culture of respect, responsibility, accountability, and compliance;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in public administration, economics, international relations or a health or social science related to the functions of the post, and a master’s degree in a health or social science, public administration, economics, international relations or other related field from a recognized institution.
Desirable: A PhD would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Thirteen years of combined national and international experience in health financing, resource mobilization, project management and fundraising in donor, development cooperation organizations, non-governmental organizations and private sector organizations, corporations and industry, including financial institutions, as well as in the design, review, implementation, and/or evaluation of projects including public health. Experience must include demonstrated evidence of a successful track record in resource mobilization and fund raising.
Desirable: Experience working in the United Nations system, a development cooperation agency, non-governmental organization, or foundation would be an asset. Experience in humanitarian work and/or public health field actions would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity - Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork: Advocates for collaboration across the Organization - Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration across the Organization; sees cooperation as a key Organizational priority and creates collaborative systems and processes to achieve Organizational goals. Actively identifies and tackles disagreements between internal and external counterparts that compromise the Organization’s goals and mandate; diplomatically facilitates the resolution of conflicts between others and ensures strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders; maintains and extends an effective collaborative network of individuals inside and outside the Organization.
- Communication: Share knowledge - Shares decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures both understanding and acceptance; shares knowledge and best practice at the three Organizational levels (country, regional and global), as necessary.
- Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results - Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
- Ensuring effective use of resources: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well - Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
- Driving the Organization to a successful future: Constructive leadership style/ Set the vision and build commitment - Leads and develops a road map for successfully achieving real progress in the Organization’s mandate, including consultation with key stakeholders; demonstrates respectful, trustworthy, transparent and accountable behavior in order to develop a reliable and coherent identity for the Organization. Creates a coherent Organizational vision of shared and successful goals; fosters a culture of vision and long- term goals, recognizing and rewarding efforts to maximize the Organization’s value.
- Technical: Expertise and proven experience at the global level in the development and implementation of effective global health financing and resource mobilization strategies, application of policy analyses and relationship development involving external, technical and financial partners with special focus on health and public health or in related sectors of relevance to the Region. Deep knowledge and expertise in program management, including staffing, work program delivery, resources management, project management, monitoring and metrics, enhancing visibility and communications; and quality improvement. Proven track record of fund raising and resource mobilization and management in health issues of relevance to the Region. Regarding partnerships, a demonstrated ability of working with selected governments in the Region and relevant institutions who have a track record of contributing resources as well as potentially influencing the donor community.
- Managerial: Extensive expertise in senior, progressively responsible positions in the management of a large public or private organization, administration of matters requiring sensitive negotiation and political high-level interventions, and in institutional and organizational development. Resourcefulness, initiative, highly developed judgment combined with strong interpersonal skills; diplomacy, tact and ability to effectively communicate with senior level officials, private sector, senior managers and CEOs, multiple stakeholders and professionals from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds; ability to develop and coordinate networks with relevant players in the global health field. Demonstrated ability to provide professional leadership to strategic, organizational, managerial and analytic work.
- Administrative: Skills in resource mobilization (including fundraising and partner collaboration) and health financing management for the delivery of expected results.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft SharePoint and Project, and social media are desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org