Oxfam is a global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice. We offer lifesaving support in times of crisis and advocate for economic justice, gender equality, and climate action. We demand equal rights and equal treatment so that everyone can thrive, not just survive.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors through advocacy and campaigning, with a focus on the US pharmaceutical sector; to develop and drive Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for campaigns and policy work around health, vaccine equity, access to essential medicines, business and human rights, gender and racial justice, and other agency priorities; to raise Oxfam America’s profile as a thought and practice leader regarding nuanced private sector engagement on health policy, vaccine access and equity, human rights, and inequality; to interface with key allies in the access to medicines movement, including the People’s Vaccine Alliance; to engage key public and private sector policymakers on health, vaccine equity, and related issues.
Strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors through advocacy and campaigning, with a focus on the US pharmaceutical sector
- Co-lead on Oxfam America’s corporate advocacy in key industry sectors, with the focus on US pharmaceutical corporations.
- Develop policy and execute a strategy for corporate advocacy on vaccine equity and access, right to health, inequality, and related issues, with a focus on intersectionalities with gender and racial justice.
- Provide strategic guidance on corporate advocacy and influencing to Oxfam campaign teams, country and regional offices, and partners.
- Engage corporate investors and other stakeholders on Oxfam’s advocacy and influencing agenda and policy asks.
Drive Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for specific campaigns and initiatives around health, vaccine equity, access to essential medicines, business and human rights, gender and racial justice
- Co-lead on design and implementation of corporate advocacy and campaigning strategies around health, vaccine equity, access to essential medicines, business and human rights, gender and racial justice, and other agency priorities. Provide campaigns and other agency initiatives with strategic guidance and, in coordination with PSD researchers, research on the private sector.
- Manage relationships with key private sector actors and networks to advance relevant agency priorities on access to health.
- Manage campaign spikes within private sector advocacy campaigns as appropriate.
Raise Oxfam America’s profile as a thought and practice leader regarding nuanced private sector engagement on health policy, inequality, and vaccine access and equity
- Serve as a high-profile spokesperson/representative to raise the profile of Oxfam America’s private sector work.
- Create and manage the production of written corporate advocacy materials, including policy documents, campaign reports, briefs, online content, and material for traditional and social media outreach.
Interface with key allies in the access to medicines movement, including the People’s Vaccine Alliance
- Represent Oxfam America in key ally spaces, including the US and global People’s Vaccine Alliances and their individual members.
- Help to forge new alliances around shared objectives on health and vaccine equity, including with women rights and racial justice organizations.
Engage key public and private sector policymakers on health, vaccine equity, and related issues
- Represent Oxfam America at external meetings and events with industry, policy, and civil society leaders.
- Work with Oxfam America’s Campaigns and Government Relations teams to develop and implement a nuanced advocacy strategy that encompasses both public policy and private sector influencing.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Will stay abreast of professional trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities and demonstrate continuous learning in the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based, problem-solving work culture treating all persons with dignity and respect and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission, goals and values.
- Will have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice, racial equity and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
- Possibility of travel up to four weeks per year, when and if COVID travel restrictions are lifted.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Master’s degree in health policy, business, international development, international relations, law, public policy, and/or related field, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience working in the health policy and/or access to medicines movement and/or related fields.
- Strong knowledge of corporate accountability and key issue areas including health policy, access to medicines, vaccine equity, gender and racial justice, business and human rights, and other agency priorities.
- 5-7 years of experience in (corporate) campaigning and advocacy.
- Experience working effectively in teams.
- Strong writing, analytical, presentation, and relationship-building skills.
- Experience managing projects across departmental lines
- Experience directly engaging pharmaceutical corporations
- Experience in analyzing corporations’ financial statements and other quantitative analysis
- Spanish or other language fluency