What are we looking for?
IFES is looking for an Inclusion Program Officer who will be responsible for supporting IFES’ disability rights portfolio, working on an expanding team of political inclusion experts. You will have the opportunity to work on disability rights internally and with our partners around the world. The portfolio will include (but will not be limited to) promoting inclusion of persons with disabilities in electoral institutions, enhancing access of voters with disabilities to political processes, and strengthening the capacity of persons with disabilities and their organizations to advocate for their political rights. You will collaborate with colleagues focused on gender, youth, Indigenous Peoples, displaced people, and ethnic and religious minorities to ensure that the perspectives of people with disabilities are included in IFES’ entire social inclusion portfolio.
Under the supervision of the Senior Inclusion Specialist, the Inclusion Program Officer will provide technical, subject matter support to HQ and field program teams on disability rights. The Inclusion Program Officer will provide technical assistance to regional program teams in order to ensure people with disabilities are included in IFES programming, including mainstreaming as well as standalone programs. In addition to providing technical assistance on country-specific and regional initiatives, the Inclusion Program Officer develop and implement tools and strategies to increase access to the political process for persons with disabilities.
- Outreach and partnerships: Manage IFES’ disability rights social media presence and draft content for IFES.org and ElectionAccess.org. Update and create internal and external resources and materials, including one-pagers, strategy papers, and standing briefs. Develop talking points and provide other support to colleagues representing IFES externally at donor and partner gatherings, conferences, and other events.
- Technical advancement and innovation: Contribute to disability rights program design and research. Support development of initiatives to increase internal capacity building on disability rights, including internal IFES tools. Trouble shoot project problems by identifying and implementing creative solutions and contribute to the development of new tools and approaches.
- Technical assistance quality assurance: Provide technical assistance to regional program teams and within the Center for Applied Research and Learning. Provide ongoing advice and recommendations for program activities and conduct program reviews as necessary within field of expertise.
- Business development and program design: Contribute to business development for mainstreamed and standalone disability rights programs. Contribute to proposals and concepts. Contribute to development of user-friendly resources and tools to better guide IFES teams in country offices and HQ on mainstreaming disability rights into program design. Identify and share good practices and lessons learned between teams in HQ and country offices.
The successful candidate will be a passionate, driven, and talented multi-tasker who relishes working with a variety of stakeholders to achieve common objectives. Professional, intellectually curious, and flexible, with strong written and verbal communication skills. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, meticulously detail-oriented and have the ability to collaborate when needed and also work independently, prioritizing and handling varied tasks within deadlines. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and PowerPoint required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in political science, international development, disability rights or related field highly preferred.
- 4+ years’ experience in international development or related field. Experience in disability rights and/or democracy and governance required. Strong writing and analytical skills required.
- Experience conducting trainings for internal or external audiences preferred. Familiarity with the international donor community a plus. Experience using CMS and managing professional social media accounts a plus.
- English required. Proficiency in other languages, including sign languages, a plus.
- Commitment to Excellence - Continuously strives to improve upon past performance with an orientation towards high quality service delivery and product development that demonstrates creativity/innovation, rigor, and knowledge generation. Understands responsibilities and meets goals for assigned tasks. Strives to eliminate mistakes, and complete work in a timely fashion. Solves problems as requested. Seeks to provide prompt, efficient and courteous service. Demonstrates a desire to contribute to the success of IFES.
- Communicates Effectively - Effectively and appropriately interacts with others to build relationships, influence others, and facilitate the sharing of ideas and information. Uses tact and diplomacy to navigate difficult situations. Relays key messages by creating a compelling story, targeted to specific audiences. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization.
- Decision Quality - Makes timely and sound decisions that keep the organization moving forward, even in the absence of complete information. Relies on a mixture of analysis, planning, experience, and judgment when making decisions. Considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles. Recognizes when a quick 80% solution will suffice.
- Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments. Follows through on commitments and makes sure others do the same. Acts with a clear sense of ownership. Takes personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and failures. Establishes clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results. Designs feedback loops into work.
- Teamwork and Collaboration Builds partnerships and works collaboratively to meet shared objectives. Works cooperatively with others across the organization. Values diverse perspectives and working with others as a way to achieve the best output possible. Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org