The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Chief Communications Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
Scope: As the Chief Communications Officer (CCO), you will develop and drive successful and measurable strategic communications programs for CIPE that help position us as the only institution in the world that works to support democracy and strengthen the private sector simultaneously. Specifically, you will have direct responsibility for developing and implementing integrated communication strategies and recognizable quality products to broaden awareness of all CIPE programs, events, and activities both externally and internally. This includes efforts to strengthen CIPE’s brand as a premier organization, showcase the expertise of our staff, and increase audience engagement around the world. As CCO you will be a part of CIPE’s leadership and help develop and manage internal communications efforts among a global network of offices and remote employees, with the aim of empowering them to perform optimally as individuals and teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Digital Media or related fields.
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience as a leader or manager in the Communications field at a nonprofit organization, newsroom, media company, association, political campaign, or government agency.
- Previous work experience and/or knowledge of international affairs, diplomacy, foreign policy.
- Established relationships with key stakeholders, including media outlets.
- Track record of success in brand or organization amplification.
- Combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Experience either living/working abroad or working for a U.S.-based organization with a clear global impact.
- Work as part of the CEO’s executive leadership team to advance the organization’s mission, vision, values, and brand reputation through the establishment of strategic goals.
- Responsible for the organization’s external communications efforts across all platforms and channels, including public relations, media outreach, and crisis communications.
- Position the organization as a thought leader and highlight the expertise of program staff through targeted stakeholder engagement and content.
- Assist the CEO in providing strategic support to internal business functions.
- Provide leadership and a strategic framework, including policy development with parallel units, for effective internal communications across the organization.
- Work closely with Communications teams for the National Endowment for Democracy, its cores institutes, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and global partners.
- Directly support members of the CIPE Board of Directors.
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the organization’s work, relevance, resources, and events among external audiences and CIPE staff.
- Develop overarching communication and marketing plans utilizing multiple channels and products. Among them: CIPE websites, social media platforms, press releases and print materials, events, radio, televised media, podcasts, newsletters, CIPE’s employee intranet, and other delivery methods for global staff.
- Establish brand standards and guidelines and govern their utilization.
- Serve as CIPE spokesperson, manage media/public relations, and maximize media opportunities.
- Develop and execute organizational communication plans to ensure cross channel consistency among the website, social media platforms, print, radio, and televised media.
- Oversee public and special events planning, including in-person, hybrid, and virtual formats.
- Responsible for creating uniform and aligned messaging both internally and externally.
- Create measurement framework for communication and marketing outcomes.
- Build external relationships, collaborations, and partnerships with organizations and partners to broaden CIPE reach and relevance.
- Create and oversee CEO positioning plan.
- Build, lead, and manage growing Communications Department staff, as well as internal/external client relationships.
- Support all business units’ strategic priorities using all necessary communications tools and channels.
- Support the CEO and senior leadership efforts to build global and corporate partnerships to further organizational growth.
- Implement data analysis systems to help track and expand audience, earned media, and engagements.
Leverage evolving technology to develop new and innovative products;
- Oversee department budget and implement creative, cost-effective approaches to executing program deliverables.
- Remain forward-thinking, looking ahead for potential opportunities, trends, and threats that impact the organization’s brand and reputation.
- Establish best practices, guidelines, resources, and training within the organization on communications-related activities, including public speaking, writing, events, social media posts, and intellectual property protections.
Background should include development and oversight of successful communication strategies that leverage leading technologies, platforms, software, and approaches to advance CIPE messaging. Among them:
- Content management systems, such as WordPress.
- Social media channels, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Data analytics and data-driven decision making via tools such as Google Analytics and Meltwater or Cision.
- Customer relationship management and marketing platforms, such as Salesforce and Mailchimp.
- Digital content development and asset management tools, like Adobe Suite and Creative Cloud applications.
- Event, meeting, and podcast platforms, such as Zoom, StreamYard, and Squadcast or equivalents.
- Internal and external business communication platforms, including Microsoft Outlook Suite, Slack, and WhatsApp, to connect internal and external colleagues.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated track record serving as both a manager and an implementer who can lead a team of communication, marketing, and design professionals to execute concurrent projects from conception to completion.
- Superior written and verbal English communication skills, including proofreading and editing.
- Ability to transform information into compelling, relevant content in a timely manner and disseminate it to the right audiences through appropriate distribution channels.
- Strong understanding of publishing, graphic design, layout, and copy/video editing.
- Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of digital and social media platforms used for outreach, marketing, data analytics, and customer relationship management.
- Experience and familiarity working with reporters to pitch, position, and place an institutional brand in earned media
- Proven strengths in crisis communication planning and execution.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with other managers and team members, as well as program staff and global partners, in a diverse environment.
- Relentless energy, keen attention to details, effective manager with strong organizational and team building skills.
- Proactive, self-starter, and self-learner, takes initiative to identify gaps and find and/or create custom solutions.
- Exemplary communication skills, including maturity, cultural sensitivity, and tact suitable for collaborating with individuals from around the world.
Benefits and Perks
Competitive Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, paid family leave, life insurance, 401(k), commuter benefits, telework, and more! Employee events including Company Picnic, Health & Wellness Fair, Holiday Party and lots of fun in between!
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.