Closing Period: 08 December 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-Audit-OIOS-191044-D-New York (G)
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is in the Internal Audit Division (IAD) of the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) in New York, and reports to the Under-Secretary-General (USG) for Internal Oversight Services. The Office of Internal Oversight Services is the internal oversight body of the United Nations and assists the Secretary-General in fulfilling his oversight responsibilities in respect of the resources and staff of the Organization through the provision of audit, investigation, and inspection and evaluation services.
IAD is one of the three OIOS Divisions, the two others being the Inspection and Evaluation Division and the Investigations Division. IAD provides internal oversight services to the United Nations Secretariat at New York Headquarters, Offices Away from Headquarters and peacekeeping missions, as well as the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, and several other entities. IAD has 180 staff located in three Headquarters duty stations (New York, Geneva, and Nairobi), in Budapest, and in peace operations in Bamako, Bangui, Entebbe, Goma, Juba, Kuwait and Naqoura. Frequent travel may be required.
IAD conducts audit in accordance with best practices in internal audit within the regulatory framework of the United Nations. Its programme of work is risk-based.
Within delegated authority, the Director will be responsible to plan, direct and manage the activities undertaken by the Internal Audit Division. These responsibilities include:
- Formulate the Division's strategic and operational plans and manage the staff and activities to ensure the achievement of performance goals and the optimal use of resources;
- Establish operating guidelines, lines of authority and communication, work objectives and priorities of reporting;
- Liaise with external audit bodies and internal audit units of other United Nations system organizations to strengthen synergies and minimize duplications;
- Represent OIOS in meetings with intergovernmental bodies on budget or programme performance or on substantive issues, as related to internal audit activities and resources;
- Engage in advisory consultations and coordinate with United Nations senior management on improvements in risk management, governance and internal control systems;
- Participate in international forums on the issue of internal audit, as well as inter-agency oversight committees;
- Participate in meetings and conferences on substantive-related issues and represent the Division at inter-divisional meetings of OIOS, and international, regional, and inter-agency meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Professionalism: Expert knowledge and understanding of procedures and processes relevant to internal audit, including matters related to risk management, governance and internal control systems in organizations operating large decentralized and complex programmes of work. Demonstrated ability to supervise complex internal audit work. Strong drafting skills, especially with respect to the preparation of complex reports and papers on internal audit issues and the ability to review and edit the work of others. Excellent management and interpersonal skills;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others, and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks; clearly communicates links between the Organization's strategy and the work unit's goals; generates and communicates broad and compelling Organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction; conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities;
- Judgement/Decision-Making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary;
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively increasing managerial experience in internal audit work with demonstrable experience in auditing and supervising the audit of programme and administrative activities is required;
- Experience in managing a large, diverse, multidisciplinary group of professionals in undertaking serious and complex internal audits is required;
- Experience with developing, managing, and implementing strategic and operational work plans for a large, complex, multidisciplinary internal audit function is required;
- Experience with international internal audit activities is required;
- Experience with an international or multilateral organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of another official language of the United Nations is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org