Org. Setting and Reporting
The objective of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is to combat desertification and mitigate the effects of drought in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification around the world, particularly in Africa, through effective action at all levels, supported by international cooperation and partnership arrangements.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Officer, and overall guidance of the Managing Director, the incumbent is responsible for the following specific duties:
- Manages the project: “Strengthening Coordination and Implementation of the Great Green Wall (GGW) Initiative”, the donor-funded project by developing technical report, relationship with the donor and ensuring a smooth implementation of the project;
- Provide guidance and technical support to the GGW countries’ national coalitions, strategies and pipelines of projects development;
- Provides technical advice to GGW countries teams on results indicators, reporting frameworks and monitoring activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on the assigned topics/activities;
- Builds and maintains partnerships with UN agencies, international, regional and national technical partners for the implementation of the GGWA;
- Develop, facilitate and coordinate a Taskforce on data collection, monitoring and reporting on the GGW activities with partners;
- Design, implement and manage an online, comprehensive GGW information system, consisting of a database to track progress on projects development and implementation;
- Establishes effective partnerships with public, CSOs and private stakeholders; connects project generators and developers with potential funders;
- Drafts proposals and coordinates marketing efforts for the GGW Accelerator programmes; provides feedback on, or undertakes as required, project planning and its implementation, including through the facilitating of workshops or other type of meetings that will assist donors in the operationalization of the project; organizes donors’ meeting; prepares written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, annual progress reports on the state of the implementation of the GGW;
- Performs any other job-related activity required to achieve the goals and objectives of the Global Mechanism and Secretariat.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concept and approaches relevant to monitoring and evaluating the implementation and impact of development projects. Knowledge of e-commerce and digital economy functional area; ability to prepare well-reasoned written contributions, promulgate coherent policies and interact with senior officers, technical staff and counterparts/partners. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning & organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise, is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in public administration, management, economics, political science, international relations, social science or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in programme or project planning and management, economics, international relations, social science or related area is required;
- At least three years’ experience with results-based management frameworks and in advising intergovernmental organizations on monitoring and evaluation is required;
- Experience in providing administrative or programmatic support to or in a field operation of an international organization in Africa is desirable;
- Experience in the United Nations system or a comparable international organization is desirable as well as experience in implementing projects and promoting partnerships.
- Fluency in oral and written English and French language is required. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org