Under the guidance of the Director, Country Support and Partnerships, and the immediate supervision of the Head of Regions, the Regional Programme Officer:
- Supports the Agency’s engagement with governments and other stakeholders for an enhanced understanding of renewable energy landscape in the MENA region, and identification of areas of possible support, where IRENA can provide highest value addition, with a view to creating an investment environment more conducive to accelerated energy transition.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of IRENA’s regional/sub-regional engagement on the ground such as the Pan Arab Clean Energy Initiative and Investment Forums as well as the regional capacity building programmes, including, conceptualization of the program, identification of priority areas of action, and development of the modalities of implementation.
- Coordinates the Agency’s country engagement in the region, including, through country assessments, such as, Renewables Readiness Assessments (RRA), combined RRA-Renewable Energy Roadmap (REmap) studies, Energy Transition Outlooks (ETOs), support for Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) and Long-Term low-greenhouse gas emission development Strategies (LTS) etc.
- Coordinates the design and development of the framework for setting up and maintaining cooperation networks with governments, regional entities, industry, private sector, banks and financial institutions and civil society in the region. The foundation for maintaining existing and for establishing new networks to galvanise action towards increasing the role of energy transition and climate action would be prepared as a part of IRENA’s Work Programme.
- Identifies and collaborates with relevant partners that can engage with countries at the national and regional levels to support implementation of the priorities identified in the RRAs and regional action agendas.
- Ensures close links with the IRENA technical divisions to identify synergies in line with priorities identified by countries and provide IRENA support ensuring impacts.
- Keeps abreast of trends, key topics and initiatives in renewable energy policy, finance and technology to contribute to the preparation of RRAs/REOs/ETOS and other reports and knowledge products and reports for the MENA region.
- Lead the efforts for IRENA’s project finance facilitation in the region including leading the organisation of investment forums, assist and support the identification and screening of projects from MENA member states to ensure readiness for finance facilitation by IRENA’s finance platforms.
- Supports the planning and coordination of Work Programme of the Directorate and contribute to its successful implementation.
- Organises and prepares written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative meetings, conferences, collaborative frameworks, investment forums etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialised field. Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to develop sources for data collection. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. Good knowledge of various aspects of energy, climate action; ability to implement projects/programmes; familiarity with the renewable energy and energy transition issues including , technologies, policies and financing; good analytical skills, ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Excellent drafting skills and ability to prepare reports that are clear, concise and meaningful.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Planning & Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in the field of energy, environment, economics, engineering or any other relevant field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the energy sector, some of which should be at the international level; experience in international cooperation and in dealing with multilateral agencies, networks and forums; experience of work in regional organizations of the region and demonstrated ability to implement projects/programmes are additional assets.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of other languages of the MENA region would be an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org