Job Posting : Feb 24, 2023, 2:42:02 PM
Closing Date : Mar 17, 2023, 5:59:00 PM
Primary Location : United States-Washington, D.C.
Organization : Non communicable Diseases and Mental Health
Schedule : Full-time
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH) Department promotes, coordinates, and implements technical cooperation activities, directed at the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and related risk factors, mental, neurological and substance abuse disorders and disabilities, promotion of optimal nutrition and road safety, and prevention of violence, that are evidence-based and appropriate for the political and sociocultural context in which they are implemented. It raises political and public awareness and understanding of the burden of the most common noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) and mental disorders, related risk factors and conditions and leads multi-sector and multi-stakeholder strategic and collaborative efforts aimed at strengthening Member States' capacity to promote and protect health through public policies, programs, and services. This will reduce risks and disease burden and contribute to improving the physical, mental, and social well-being of the population.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH), and the direct supervision of the Unit Chief of Risk Factors and Nutrition (NMH/RF) and in close collaboration with other tobacco control advisors, the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to the following assigned duties:
- Provide direct technical support to Member States, Territories and Associate Members, in the development of policies, programs and interventions on tobacco control, in accordance with the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), its guidelines and Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products;
- Provide technical advice and support to Member States in the ratification of the WHO FCTC and of the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade on Tobacco Products;
- Coordinate and collaborate with WHO and partners in the monitoring of tobacco control interventions at country level and the design and implementation of evaluations to assess the impact of policies and programs on tobacco control;
- Provide technical advice and collaborate in monitoring and counteracting the tobacco industry’s efforts to interfere with tobacco control policies;
- Develop and strengthen the dialogue, interaction and actions with other governmental sectors, United Nations (UN) agencies, academia, civil society and appropriate private industry in order to foster a social basis for fulfillment of national commitments on tobacco control;
- Promote and provide technical cooperation on the incorporation of indicators on tobacco control for youth and adults disaggregated by sex and age, in the national health surveillance systems; provide models and support countries in the uses of data for decision-making, perform situation and trend analyses;
- Review, update and analyze data to integrate relevant technical facts, consolidate and disseminate technical and scientific information related to tobacco control throughout the Organization and at country level; identify research priorities and promote epidemiological, behavioral and management studies in this area;
- Collaborate in mobilizing resources to support the advance on the agenda on tobacco control; stimulate the mobilization of national and international resources to support regional and country efforts in these areas; mobilize international and national political, technical and financial resources and extra-budgetary funds in support of national and regional programs;
- Expand and manage the networks of experts, collaborating centers, international NGOs and inter-country cooperation strategies to develop and implement interdisciplinary training research and program development;
- Provide technical cooperation to Member States for the implementation of the Regional Plan of Action emphasizing activities under the associated area of work and strategic objectives; promote greater effectiveness of program activities and appropriate resource utilization; collect and consolidate regional information to respond to WHO’s requests for information;
- Represent the Organization at national and regional technical meetings and in inter-agency consultations on areas of responsibility;
- Contribute to the development, definition and establishment of the objectives, strategies, plans and budgets related to tobacco control; formulate and recommend policies, plans, strategies, and budgets, in support of the Governing Bodies’ mandates related to work in these areas; report to Governing Bodies, through executive presentations and reports, on the status or results of relevant activities;
- Participate in and facilitate team-based project development and execution of the program of work and the preparation of the biennial work plan (BWP) and related budgets, work plans, progress reports, periodic analytical reports to donors, and briefing books;
- When called upon to directly supervise staff, establish clear work objectives, conduct timely and effective performance appraisals, provide coaching and feedback, and support staff development opportunities;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A university degree in health, social sciences, or international relations and a master’s degree in public health, health diplomacy, global health, public policy or related field from a recognized university.
Desirable: A Ph.D. in a public health would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Nine years of combined national and international experience in the development, design and implementation of tobacco control strategies.
Desirable: Demonstrated experience in managing tobacco control programs in countries of the Americas would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity - Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others - Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve and build rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the team’s successes and shortcomings.
- Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Listen/Write effectively/Share knowledge - Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment: Provide direction - Manages individual and group projects and ensures that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clearly defined, understood and accepted; delegates work appropriately to achieve best results.
- Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results -Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
- Ensuring effective use of resources: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well - Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond: Develop networks and partnerships and encourage collaboration - Builds and negotiates strategic partnerships and alliances with a wide range of key stakeholders to ensure Organizational results and success. Creates innovative opportunities for promoting synergies inside and outside the Organization to improve Organizational success.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in current and new concepts on tobacco control and the WHO FCTC, its guidelines and Protocol and knowledge of the tobacco industry’s strategies to undermine tobacco control.
- Technical expertise in the development of policies and programs, and the ability to negotiate and coordinate with all relevant sectors of government, international agencies and organized community groups.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and advocate within health and with non-health actors on tobacco control policies and tobacco industry strategies to undermine those policies.
- Sound technical expertise and ability to plan strategically to strengthen technical cooperation programs.
- Demonstrated ability to provide professional leadership to strategic, organizational, managerial and analytic work in health.
- Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical, conceptual, interpersonal and communication skills to deal with difficult situations and sensitive issues; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different professional levels, discipline, nationalities, and cultural background. Management of health systems organization and administration.
- Demonstrated skills in grant writing and mobilization of resources (including fundraising and partner collaboration) and competencies in financial management.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs for Statistical Analysis, Data Exploratory Analysis and Project Management will be an asset.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
US $ 77,326.00 + post adjustment
Post Adjustment: 63.5% of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org