CORE (Community Organized Relief Effort) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to build sustainable, community-based response programs to disasters. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, CORE provides free testing and vaccines to disadvantaged communities and hotspots in eight (8) markets. This is accomplished through strategic partnerships with local health agencies and community-based organizations to reach high-risk populations in vulnerable areas.
To fund CORE's emergency response, public health and climate change programming both in the U.S. and internationally, the Proposal Director will lead institutional proposal development with a focus on USG emergency relief entities such as the Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (USAID), Health and Human Services (HHS-HRSA), Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (State Department PRM), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), UNHCR, IOM, American Red Cross, and various federal, state and local entities. They will help build staff capacity in business development and will establish an institutional funding strategy, identify a pipeline of opportunities, and cultivate and maintain key relationships with a wide variety of multi-sector stakeholders. The Proposal Director will manage a small team and lead capture, proposal development processes, liaise and negotiate with partners/potential partners to assist with drafting scopes of work. S/he will conceptualize CORE's role in potential projects; review draft proposals; and be responsible for all final submissions.
Beyond proposal production, the Proposal Director will serve as CORE's internal strategic advisor to Executive leadership regarding U.S. government funding opportunities and related market intelligence.
This position reports to the Vice President of Partnerships & Development but will continuously liaise with the Chief Operating Officer and VP of Programs.
We require all employees to comply with our Mandatory Vaccination Policy. As a condition of employment individuals will be asked to provide proof of compliance to this policy
Proposal Production 60%
- Alongside the Deputy Proposal Director and Cost and Pricing Deputy Director, lead all local, state, federal, and multilateral proposal activities including selecting which bids to pursue, assigning bid teams, and delineating clear roles and responsibilities for each proposal.
- Develop or review all proposal calendars and timelines. Hold team members to deadlines.
- Craft Win Themes for every Go/No-Go discussion and oversee all aspects of proposal production.
- With evaluation matrices as a guide, outline and oversee drafting of each proposal in conjunction with internal stakeholders, mainly Area Directors and their key staff.
- Work with HR on organizational charts for each proposal when required as well as assist in the recruitment of Key Personnel - by producing job descriptions - when KP are named in a bid.
- Conduct the final quality check on all proposal packages and assign who will submit and how all final materials are shared and stored.
- On occasion during a natural disaster or crisis, join deployed teams to help enhance CORE's coordination and strategic positioning (either in person or remotely). Ability to travel as needed.
- All tasks above are to be managed directly by the Proposal Director or delegated to the appropriate team member to ensure quality and continuity.
Team Management 30%
- Manage one Deputy Proposal Director and one Cost and Pricing Deputy Director in the successful completion of all proposal development processes from capture to submission and handover.
- Hone a roster of proposal consultants (i.e. writers, subject matter experts) and speedily hire, slotting them in when surge support is needed
- Produce weekly reports of for Executive leadership on where CORE stands on gap to goal, which bids require additional assistance, any roadblocks and key programming decisions to be made regarding all bids.
- Lead internal proposal production trainings and work with the VP of Programs to continuously equip Area Directors with competitive bid know-how to grow CORE's impact in the communities we serve.
Market Analysis, Teaming and Reporting 10%
- Increase CORE's Win Rate by analyzing CORE's competitive positioning and providing insights and recommendations that support strategic decision-making on which bids to pursue.
- Partner with the VP of Partnership and Development and Chief Operating Officer on building a network of competitive Prime and Sub partners and setting up teaming agreements at the appropriate stage. Ensure all capacity statements are up to date.
- Work with the Vice President of Programs to ensure that programmatic pillars are reflected in CORE's bid pipeline and enable CORE's continued reach and impact.
- Profile the competitive environment, building the right tools to increase brand visibility and celebrate CORE's impact across the communities we serve domestically and internationally.
- Masters in Public Health, Public Administration or International Relations.
- Highly capable manager with at least 10 years of competitive bid experience.
- International experience in public health and/or humanitarian project management experience preferred.
- Exceptional interviewing, proposal design, writing and editing skills.
- Proactive problem-solving skills, including the ability to draw insights from data and develop recommendations.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment handling multiple tasks simultaneously. Strategically minded, able to think creatively around program objectives and design the detailed steps necessary to achieve these goals. Capable of driving insight to action.
- Solid understanding of the U.S. government domestic and international funding industry Excellent written communication abilities.
- Strong knowledge of nonprofit organizations, policy issues, and NGOs.
- Strategy or business development experience preferred, including building and analyzing business plans.
- In line with CORE's values and emphasis on nurturing its employees, manage a business development team, providing leadership, mentorship and advocating for them with programs teams.
- A high level of competence with Microsoft Office suite (advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills) is essential. Knowledge of PowerBI, or another business intelligence tool preferred.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org