The Associate Production Manager (APM) works directly with the Senior Director, Production Management assisting in all phases of the technical and operational activities for the nightly broadcast of the PBS NewsHour, Washington Week and PBS News Weekend. This position will work a rotating shift that can include weekends. This is a SAG-AFTRA role.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION :
- Attend, via call, virtual or in person, the editorial and production meetings related to the show(s) under production.
- Coordinate, acquire and validate live remotes from studios, IP sources such as Skype, LiveU, and Satellites, fiber or transmission sources.
- Coordinate and maintain schedule for remotes and technical requirements in the control room and studio.
- Schedule and create work orders for manpower and resource allocations.
- Manage assignments of editors and ensure quality of product.
- Work closely with Producers to ensure that remote studio needs are met in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate traffic needs with the Engineer in Charge.
- Update production database of studio remote facilities worldwide.
- Assist with logistics and budgetary oversight of the daily program.
- ENG operation and edit facility oversight.
- Fill in for the Director, Production Management as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of edit room capabilities, tape segment technical deliverables and acceptable delivery methods.
- Serve in the control room for production pre-tapes and the news broadcasts; remote oversight as permitted.
- Coordinate video acquisition from a variety of external sources to obtain necessary video elements for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Support video needs, ingest video and route feeds for daily evening broadcast and livestreams.
- Alert producers of rights restrictions for incoming footage.
- Monitor and react to news events.
- Oversee any ENG crew operations and logistics planning, creating schedules, crew calls, monitor overtime and meal penalties, ensure crews have adequate information about details of assignments and the equipment required for any shoot, and other necessary duties, following union requirements.
- Track petty cash usage for field operations.
- Hire freelance crews and maintain; update database of crew resources.
- Train freelancers as well as production assistants in Production Management functions.
- Schedules and assign hair and makeup for talent, on-air guests, and remote shoots.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong interest in creative problem solving under live news constraints.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Prior experience in satellite and fiber transmission is a plus.
- Advance knowledge of navigating the internet effectively, operate myriad software applications.
- Familiarity with AVID iNews, Interplay and SchedulAll programs are a plus.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate technical concepts easily.
- Job requires positive attitude, team player and a calm demeanor, able to perform under pressure.
- Ability to work occasional nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years of prior television experience, preferably in a news environment.
- Strong organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate across all levels.
- Financial aptitude with a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org