The FCDO pursues our national interests and projects the UK as a force for good in the world. We promote the interests of British citizens, safeguard the UK's security, defend our values, reduce poverty and tackle global challenges with our international partners.
- You will be an integral part of the FCDO’s work to shape and respond to news around the world. You will be responsible for providing high quality communications handling for the department and Ministers, crafting reactive lines to emerging news issues, supporting with media briefing and media logistics for the Foreign Secretary.
- It’s a busy patch: you’ll thrive on a fast pace, being able to keep a cool head under pressure and be a team player. You will be supported to develop and grow in the role, surrounded by motivated colleagues.
- You will have strong written and verbal communication skills, able to build coherent, concise and compelling arguments at pace and to tight deadlines.
- The nature of the work means many of the issues we deal with are high-profile, some are sensitive – and many involve a wide range of interested parties across UK government. You will need a strong news sense, an interest in foreign affairs and ability to work with others at speed.
In this role you will also be responsible for:
- Identifying and responding effectively to breaking news stories to promote and defend the department
- Liaising with geographic and thematic teams to pitch proactive news stories
- Developing reactive media handling and lines to take on emerging FCDO stories
- Providing regular news updates to the division and senior staff on the latest breaking stories
- Providing briefing to senior leaders ahead of media engagement and interviews
- Handling logistics for media engagement and interviews, including in some cases internationally
- Working with other government departments, including No10, and the FCDO’s international network
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is proactive and takes pride in delivering high quality work. The News Team culture is inclusive and friendly, where we have high standards and support wellbeing and development. You will need to be a team player.
- Professional Communication Skills
- Demonstrable experience of working in a press office or media environment
- Experience working with journalists
- Experience preparing briefing for media engagements
- Experience handling media logistics for interviews or events
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org