Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. It also works on normative and operational programmes for the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and the urban dimensions of the SDGs, with Member States, cities, and other partners.
ERSKI is responsible for strategic planning, programmatic direction and operationalization of UN-Habitat's focal point role for the New Urban Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals in the UN system and for coordination of Emergency Programmes. The Knowledge and Innovation Branch is responsible for leading the development of UN-Habitat’s flagship reports, gathering and reporting on urban data through its Data and Analytics Unit, and producing cutting-edge knowledge and innovation in cities, the processes of urban development and urbanization and its associated effects.
The position is located in the United Nations Innovation Technology Accelerator for Cities, which is part of the Knowledge and Innovation Branch of the External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division (ERSKI) of UN-Habitat headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. Under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Manages the project “Just transitions in vulnerable places - digital solutions for more climate resilient informal areas and climate smart urban recovery of communities affected by crisis”
- Contributes to the implementation of project outputs as defined in the project logframe, plans project activities, evaluates project artifacts, and conducts project reporting as well as all related project management lifecycle activities, in line with the UN-Habitat project management framework.
- Identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs and reports against the relevant project indicators.
- Supervises project staff and supports the hiring of local personnel.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Carries out research in the substantive area of the project intervention, provides advice and guidance to team members, and keeps them abreast of relevant developments and project-relevant impediments.
- Collects, analyzes and visualizes relevant data and formulates ideas for further research and publication of findings for potential national and global outreach and communications.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Reviews various written outputs, e.g., draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Coordinates with implementing partners and contractors on specific activities related to urban planning, informal settlements upgrading and digital development.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Facilitates general stakeholder engagement partnership building and maintaining the networks for all relevant project activities.
- Ensuring transparency of communication and alignment of activities and strategic action with regional priorities of the UNITAC parties, incl. Regional Offices, UN Country Teams and Resident Coordinators, as applicable.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the project outputs.
- Learns on-the-job and provides guidance and support to colleagues.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to strategic and statutory planning, urban design and regional planning; Good understanding of urban spatial dynamics and their relation to sustainable development and of the linkages between urban planning and institutional and capacities development. Ability to identify, analyze and participate in the resolution of complex urban development problems and to identify strategic spatial dimensions of development at local and regional level. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, utilize different sources of data and inputs for decision making, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban planning and design, architecture or a related field that is relevant to sustainable urban development and urban planning and design is required. A first-level degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is required
- A minimum of five (5) years of substantive professional experience, including 2 years at the international level, in urban planning and design and/or academic teaching and research on the subject, preferably gained in various continents is required.
- Experience in working in large multi cultural environments is desirable.
- Experience in human settlements development fields, technology innovation and digital transformation, project design and implementation with the United Nations or other International Agencies is desirable.
- Experience with UN policies, procedures and practices or similar international organization is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and " Knowledge of" equals a rating of " confident" in two of the four areas.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org