Our Customer’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through their family of apps and services, they are building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together.
We're looking for a Public Policy Manager on a contract basis. The ideal candidate will be a public policy and relationship management expert who can combine a passion for technology’s potential to create opportunity and to make Africa and the Middle East more open and connected, with deep knowledge of and relationships with policy influencers across African and Arab diaspora communities. The Public Policy Diaspora Engagement lead is part of a wider Africa and Middle East Public Policy team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy challenges of our times, including privacy, safety and security, human rights, Internet shutdowns, the impact of the Internet on economic growth and social good, and new opportunities for democratic engagement.
What You Do:
• Work with Africa and Middle East policy regional and functional heads/leads to implement diaspora engagement strategy (including events, partnerships, etc.)
• Deepen the stakeholder mapping of key African and Arab diaspora communities and policy influencers
• Manage the budget for all diaspora programmatic activity across the region
• Represent the company in meetings with diaspora policy influencers
• Monitor key diaspora communities for policy issues at the intersection of technology, social media, human rights, emerging market entry/growth
• Inform and support company's policy agenda and programs across key diaspora communities
• Work with Safety and Policy Programs teams and external policy and civil society partners to create and implement relevant policy programs
• Work with our policy programs team to implement programs to address key policy issues, including content policy, elections, human rights/social impact
• Identify and advise the company on emerging public policy issues
• Support the Africa and Middle East Public Policy teams on any other priority policy issues and programs
• At least 7 years significant demonstrated experience in government relations, advocacy; project management and/or development
• Significant experience strategically engaging Arab and/or African stakeholders, including relevant policy influencers and key organizations
• Keen understanding of political systems, socio-cultural contexts and relevant policy and civil society institutions across the Middle East and Africa
• Significant experience living and working across Middle East and Africa required
• Extensive experience with relevant policy issues, including human rights, free expression
• Experience in policy engagement or program development for a multinational corporation or civil society institution
• Excellent judgment, strategy development, communication and persuasive skills, creativity, perspective, the ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment;
Passion for community building across the diaspora and commitment to the power of technology to connect/amplify voice
• Superb written and oral communications skills
• Fluency in both written and conversational English required, and fluency in Arabic greatly preferred
• Interest and ability to travel (approximately 10% when deemed safe to travel), primarily across key diaspora hubs
• Fluency in technology and a passion for the company’s mission.
• A degree or advanced degree in international relations, international development, business, human rights and/or a related field
Hours & Location:
M-F, 40 hours/week. This role will be remote while Covid restrictions are in place. The expectation is to be onsite at their HQ location of New York, NY location once it is deemed safe to do so.
Now for the Perks!
• Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, and Commuter Benefits program)
• Accrued PTO: Up to 15 days per 12 months on assignment
• New Child Benefit: Up to $4,000 for the birth or adoption of a child while on assignment (conditions apply)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org