Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), Naqoura. The position is located in the Office of the Principal Coordinator and the encumbent will report directly to the Principal Coordination Officer or his/her designate.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Coordination Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Take the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, etc.; direct subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; direct review of relevant documents and reports; identify priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and propose corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identify and initiate follow-up actions;
- Coordinate and streamline work processes and procedures of various mission components in accordance with the relevant policies and procedures and the priorities of the mission, ensuring a coordinated and balanced approach in the delivery of the mission’s mandate;
- Coordinate policy development; review the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies, and plan and contribute to strategic coordination and coherence, including through the development and drafting of strategy documents and analysis, as well as through the elaboration of messaging and drafting of presentations;
- Preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc., and plan and contribute to further developing the positioning, usability and impact of UNIFIL performance assessments, including by promoting and ensuring a clear, consistent editorial voice and alignment with strategic priorities;
- Formulate, plan and contribute to inter-divisional initiatives to develop and draft analysis and strategy documents, in support of identified strategic priorities of the Principal Coordinator;
- Provide technical and policy advice on complex issues; develop and disseminate best practices, and lead the development of research findings, contributing to forward-planning processes of products, developing messaging that are clear, relevant, and accurate;
- •Direct research and programme/project evaluation and present information gathered from diverse sources and analyze and follow up on current events and policy trends as well as UN system priorities to promote the alignment of UNIFIL strategy development and research as appropriate and relevant, and to ensure a high level of accuracy, consistency, content and presentation of written materials, for a wide variety of audiences;
- Supervise the Mission Planning Unit and the Policy and Best Practices Unit encompassing relevant aspects of strategic planning and knowledge management;
- Perform other work-related duties as requested.
- Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks; ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational directions; ability to advise on high profile and sensitive communication related to research findings and outputs; ability to clearly communicate links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals; ability to develop communication strategies and to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear and concise style; demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation; demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing;
- Building trust: Provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion. Manages in a deliberate and predictable way. Operates with transparency; has no hidden agenda. Places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients. Gives proper credit to others. Follows through on agreed upon actions. Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately;
- Judgement/decision making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree in political science, international relations, economic diplomacy, law, social sciences, management or other relevant field. A First-Level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in coordination, administration, budget, finance, human resources management, international relations, political outreach, analysis and reporting or related field is required;
- Experience in priority-setting, forward planning, strategic analysis, and change management and/or implementation of organizational development initiatives in a large international organization is required;
- Experience with drafting analytical and strategy documents in line with organizational priorities is required;
- Experience working in a field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programs - or similar international organization or non-governmental organization) - in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable;
- Experience working in a setting requiring high awareness of political and cultural sensitivity is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org