Under the direct supervision of the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Manager, the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Specialist coordinates the implementation of the resource mobilization and advocacy strategies for the UN Trust Fund, including maintaining and stewarding relationships with the existing donors and partners as well as supporting the Manager cultivating new partnerships with a view of raising new funds for grantmaking. This will include maintaining the records and contributing to building institutional memory about donors and partners, with a specific focus on the Member States.
Duties and Responsibilities
Build trust and maintain effective relationships with the Member States
- Maintain effective relationships with the Member States, and support the building of networks both in capitals and UN Permanent Missions;
- Act as a direct entry point for donors, building institutional relationships;
- Provide regular updates on donor profiles, databases (e.g. contacts management), and donor intelligence;
- Draft Donor Agreements and support the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Manager in preparing brief funding proposals and concept notes, where appropriate;
- Provide technical support to the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Manager in the preparation of missions, meetings and other consultations with donors, including the preparation of notes, briefs, and other materials.
Coordinate resource mobilization processes
- Coordinate closely with the UN Women Strategic Partnership Division as relevant to all resource mobilization activities of the UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women;
- Provide technical support and inputs to the development and implementation of the fund’s resource mobilization strategy and advocacy initiatives to engage the Member States, UN Women National Committees, the private sector, and high-level giving individuals;
- Undertake research to develop donor intelligence, policies, sectoral and geographic preferences, economic and political background, development assistance strategies, etc. and other activities to identify funding opportunities;
- Identify opportunities to secure additional resources from the Member States, and other partners when and if needed.
Provide technical assistance in developing and managing UN Trust Fund’s strategic partnerships
- Manage and coordinate relationships with key partners; provide technical inputs to the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Manager’s efforts to develop new and innovative partnerships;
- Set and monitor annual priorities and goals for partnerships;
- Advise the Communications Team on the design and implementation of effective advocacy strategies and methods for proactive and strategic targeting of partners and donors.
Provide technical support for the submission of high-quality and timely reports to Donors
- Maintain systems to promote compliance with the terms of agreements, coordinate submission of the reports to the donors, and upload them in DAMS;
- Provide technical support to the Resource Mobilization and Advocacy Manager and provide inputs for the Annual Report and the CSW Report;
- Coordinate with the Resource Mobilization and Reporting Specialist for the collection of information and preparation of results-based reports for external constituencies.
Provide advice and support to strengthen internal resource mobilization capacity
- Provide analysis of UN Trust Fund resource mobilization efforts to inform further planning;
- Provide technical input to knowledge sharing and organizational learning among the team members of the UN Trust Fund and other relevant divisions and field offices in UN Women through the development and use of all relevant online tools, templates, and guidelines to support resource mobilization initiatives and enhance donor relations;
- Provide technical inputs to the development content and dissemination of UN Trust Fund’s advocacy materials for print, web, and social media channels, in coordination with the UN Trust Fund’s Communications Team to attract and secure increased resources for the funds.
Provide advocacy support to position UN Trust Fund as the unique global interagency Fund by highlighting its practices and results
- Disseminate and share UN Trust Fund’s knowledge products and key advocacy messages with UN Trust Fund donors, civil society, and members of the larger global community working to prevent and end violence against women and girls;
- Build and maintain partnerships with donors, UN agencies, UN Trust Fund grantees and civil society, and international and national groups leading to amplifying the UN Trust Fund advocacy and resource mobilization efforts and activities;
- Draft inputs for speeches, talking points, official statements, and other relevant materials as needed and requested;
- Provide planning and coordination support to the organization of the UN Trust Fund’s public advocacy events, including during CSW, UNGA and 16 Day of Activism against GBV;
- Coordinate monitoring and the implementation of UNiTE Campaign related activities implemented by the UN Trust Fund.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely attention and response to UN Women’s partners and donors;
- Quality inputs to resource mobilization strategy;
- Timely targeting of funding opportunities and timely tracking of donor intelligence;
- Quality communication and advocacy products which result in increased resources and a strong investment case for UN Women;
- Quality monitoring and reporting mechanism to ensure the quality of data and limit redundancy in efforts.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with government representatives of Member States (donor and programme);
- Proven networking skills, and ability to mobilize support on behalf of UN Women;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes;
- Strong IT skills, including databases, extranet and office software packages;
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, business management, social sciences, public administration, international relations, communications, women's studies, or a related field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in resource mobilization, communications/ advocacy, and/or business development;
- Experience in gender equality and women's empowerment;
- Experience working with civil society organizations, international institutions and donors;
- Experience working in the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org