Are you passionate about research, education and international relations? Do you have a track record of developing strategic partnerships and building networks?
We are recruiting for a Senior International Relations Officer to support and lead the development of international academic partnerships in Europe that help address global challenges and attract the best global talent.
Working closely with colleagues in the International Relations Office, as well as the College’s senior management and four Faculties, you will play a key role in developing and implementing academic partnership strategies spanning research, innovation and education with a region – Europe – that is of major importance to Imperial.
The International Relations Office (IRO) is a busy, highly visible central unit responsible for supporting the development and delivery of the College’s international engagement.
Imperial College London is ranked in the global top ten universities. Our research is defined by its internationalism, impact and innovation. Two-thirds of Imperial research involves an international collaborator, spanning more than 130 countries, making us the UK’s most international university. The Research Excellence Framework rated Imperial as having the UK’s highest proportion of world-leading (4*) and internationally excellent (3*) researchers, also securing the UK’s number one position for research impact. Our highly entrepreneurial culture, encompassing hundreds of spin-outs and industrial partnerships, contributed to Reuters ranking Imperial as Europe’s second most innovative university.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will take a lead in identifying emerging opportunities for the College to develop international peer-to-peer academic/government partnerships in Europe that help address global challenges and attract the best global talent.
- You will act as a key senior contact for the College’s key European partners and possess sufficient levels of credibility to be able to lead on discussions regarding College interests and priorities.
- You will undertake horizon scanning and analysis of international science, technology and education trends and funding, identifying key emerging opportunities for the College.
- You will effectively promote the College’s interests externally, to organisations including foreign embassies based in the UK, British embassies overseas (FCO Science and Innovation Network), Brussels-based institutions (e.g. European Commission), and HE sector organisations both in the UK and across Europe.
- You will engage in science diplomacy, evaluating, managing, hosting and coordinating high-level visits to and from partners across Europe, working with other relevant teams in College, as required, and under the direction of the Vice President (International), Provost, and President.
- We are looking for a candidate with a strategic and analytical mind-set and with a successful track record of working consultatively to develop strategies.
- Professional credibility, intellectual depth, maturity, and collaborative skills to garner trust and confidence of academic colleagues, members of the College’s leadership team, and external partners.
- Highly developed knowledge of the academic and research environment in Europe.
- Flexibility and a capacity to adapt to the changing demands of the job and the wide range of partners and issues.