UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an Education
UNICEF's Division of Communication is seeking a dynamic, motivated individual to serve as a Communications Intern for our Advocacy Team.
The individual must be passionate about digital communications and social media, and be an effective story teller and communicator. H/She will support the Education Team in the Advocacy unit to develop content on a range of education-related issues for social media platforms.
- Create engaging and effective tweets (messages, graphics, visual assets) for the UNICEF Education Twitter handle, aligned to UNICEF education advocacy priorities and messages.
- Source photos from UNICEF photo bank and refine them for social media use.
- Build on an online repository of tweets/content for the UNICEF Education Twitter handle.
- Use social media analytics to keep track of key performance indicators, if necessary.
- Contribute to UNICEF's Twitter analytics, including strategizing on how to increase engagement.
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or Ph.D. degree program or have graduated within the past two years, preferably in Communications, Journalism, International Relations or relevant field.
- Must be passionate about using social media tools for effective communication and public engagement. Strong experience with social media engagement, particularly Twitter, and promoting content for effective public engagement. Experience with executing social media campaigns a plus.
- Must have excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and visual) with an ability to create a variety of engaging content (tweets/social media cards/GIFs/visual shorts).
- Must have experience in using digital media and graphic design tools. Good design skills are a plus.
- Must be able to multi-task, work independently, and be able engage with other social media teams within UNICEF.
- Knowledge of international development, humanitarianism and the UN system is a plus.
- Familiarity with social media analytics and an ability to review/use analytic data is a plus.
- Must have full knowledge of Microsoft systems, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Knowledge of current trends in online communication is an advantage.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and core competencies of Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are: Communications, Working with People, Drive for Results, Planning and organizing, Relating and networking, Entrepreneurial thinking. For more details, view our competency framework at:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Fee: For the right candidate, a small monthly stipend will be available. However, UNICEF will not pay for any costs related to travel to the duty station, insurance, accommodation or living expenses related to this assignment.
- Health Insurance: Consultants, individual contractors, interns and volunteers are required to provide proof that they are covered by medical/health insurance for the entire duration of the contract.
- Visa: Intern service in the UNICEF/UN Family is exclusive to those who have legal status to work in the country.
- Assessment: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org