This is a key function in an international team of 7 persons in the VOICE secretariat. The position-holder is responsible for a number of dossiers of the network’s advocacy priorities in line with the VOICE Strategic Plan 2019-2023. The advocacy officer will be in the frontline of influencing policy-makers mainly in the EU institutions and Member States as well as engaging the VOICE membership in collective advocacy at national level on issues of priority to the network’s humanitarian NGO membership. Currently an advocacy assistant reports to the advocacy officer, who reports to the VOICE Director.
- Identify opportunities, develop and implement advocacy strategies according to VOICE strategic objectives and work programme;
- Provide effective policy research, analysis and advice concerning advocacy issues;
- Develop advocacy messages and network positioning in collaboration with members, including via facilitation of working groups, events and workshops;
- Write concept papers and policy statements on behalf of the network ensuring the interests of VOICE members are heard by policy and decision makers;
- Ensure information flow within the VOICE network and support national-level advocacy, providing information and analysis to members including through public presentations;
- Support the communication officer in strengthening VOICE external visibility and increased outreach to VOICE main targets;
- Representation and networking on behalf of VOICE with the European institutions and other humanitarian actors as required;
- Participation in secretariat administration and team life as required.
- Solid knowledge of the functioning of the EU institutions and procedures;
- 3 to 5 years proven experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector preferably in an NGO environment;
- Strong analytical capacity, good organisational skills, strategic thinking and practical approach to problem solving;
- Excellent command of the English language (spoken and written) to native or near-native level and fluency in French;
- Excellent communication, writing and networking skills, at ease in public speaking and representation;
- Solid computer skills, preferably including website management;
- Ability to work both independently and collectively in a multi-cultural working environment.
Applicants should be based in Belgium and have a valid work permit.
Please email your application in English at the latest on 21 August 2020, write Advocacy Officer in the subject line, as well as your name and surname, and include:
- A cover letter of no more than one page outlining your motivation for the position;
- A CV of maximum two pages including references.
We will review applications on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org