BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
BSR seeks to hire a Manager within its Government and Foundations cluster to provide support in the areas of business development, project management, and implementation globally, with a focus in Asia. BSR implements a wide variety of programs with support from private and corporate foundations and bilateral/multilateral donors to further our mission of creating a just and sustainable world. Our grant-funded initiatives are often global in scope with operations in many countries throughout Asia, such as Bangladesh, China, India, Japan, Myanmar, and Vietnam. Most of our development projects seek to harness the organizational, operational, technological, and financial acumen of the private sector in the pursuit of more environmentally and socially sustainable development. We seek to create projects that contribute to sustainable business objectives and align with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). As such, it is critical that the Manager thrives in an organizational environment that connects the private sector with the sustainability and development agendas.
Based in BSR’s Hong Kong office, the Manager will play a key role in designing grant-funded projects, preparing project proposals, and managing relationships with international donors in Asia. While the primary focus will be on project design and business development, the Manager will also be responsible for managing and supporting the implementation of selected existing projects in the region.
- Project Design and Proposal Management and Preparation: The Manager will facilitate team problem analysis and ideation exercises to identify strategic grant opportunities/solutions to solve sustainable development challenges. S/he will be responsible for managing the proposal preparation process, assembling the proposal team, and producing a RFP-responsive and compliant proposal.
- Donor Relationship Management: The Manager will lead efforts in the region to develop new and strengthen existing relationships with government and foundation donors. This will include gathering business intelligence, representing BSR externally, monitoring opportunities, updating donor profiles, implementing partner engagement plans, and monitoring project reporting to donors in Asia. The Manager will work in concert with the Asia-Pacific Senior Vice President, based in Hong Kong, the Director of the Government and Foundation cluster, based in New York, and donor account relationship managers to strengthen relationships.
- Project Management and Implementation: The Manager will assume various project management and implementation roles to support the successful completion of grant-funded projects. This will include managing projects to ensure the successful achievement of outcomes and delivery of outputs in accordance with the project plan and contractual agreement (i.e. delivering on time, within budget, and to the specified scope, meeting partner expectations). Implementation activities may comprise of conducting research, writing reports, presenting at conferences, organizing workshops, and engaging stakeholders.
- Master’s degree in sustainable development, business administration, international relations, international law, environmental economics, environmental engineering, human rights, climate change, or related field.
- 8-12 years of relevant professional experience, including work in developing or emerging market countries in Asia.
- Strong understanding of corporate sustainability and the private sector’s role in achieving the SDGs.
- Proven and demonstrable track record of successfully leading teams to capture competitive grant funded opportunities with a range of donors (multilateral, bilateral, and foundations).
- Experienced in designing and costing/pricing grant-funded projects using a range of tools and methodologies (problem analysis, stakeholder analysis, logical framework, theory of change, activity-based budgeting, pricing-to-win).
- Knowledge of the international donor landscape and trends, best practices in capture and proposal management, and client relationship management; certification in APMP a plus.
- Ability to drive strategic work and engage colleagues around collective action/implementation.
- Experience managing complex projects; program and portfolio management experience a plus; training and certification in project management methodologies, such as PMI, PRINCE2 or Agile will be considered an asset.
- Fluent both in written and conversational English; additional language skills, in particular Chinese, are a plus.
- Excellent proposal-writing skills are essential.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills for managing diverse teams and interacting with senior staff in donor organizations.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; experience with Salesforce and Microsoft SharePoint Online a plus.
- Ability to undertake business travel 30 percent of the time.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization and collaborative environment.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*