Family Planning 2020 (FP2020) is a global partnership with the goal of enabling 120 million more women and girls to access and use contraceptives by 2020. FP2020 supports the rights of women and girls to decide, freely and for themselves, whether, when and how many children they want to have. FP2020 provides a platform to enhance information sharing and to support the coordination of efforts across the broader sexual and reproductive health community to advance access to family planning information and services and use of contraceptives under the guiding principles of rights, quality, equity, and voluntarism. The FP2020 Secretariat is hosted by the United Nations Foundation.
FP2020 seeks a Communications Manager to foster harmonization, knowledge exchange, and innovation through efforts to drive strategy, collaboration, information sharing, and use of creative outreach among key stakeholders. The Manager, Communications, FP2020, will support the work of the communications director, implementing the Secretariat’s communications strategy, providing critical input on the layout, design, and branding of all communications products as well as writing and editing a variety of materials. FP2020 is a global partnership of governments, donors, implementing partners, advocates, and youth leaders – all of whom are working to empower women and girls by investing in rights-based family planning. We rely increasingly on strong communications and knowledge sharing to create alignment and strategic collaboration globally.
The FP2020 Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director and works closely with the FP2020 directors, other members of the FP2020 Secretariat, and UN Foundation staff.
External Relations and Communications
- Use design skills on layout and production of FP2020 products and ensure strong brand identification.
- Write blogs, articles, social media assets, reports, and fact sheets that educate, engage, and support the work of FP2020.
- Lead cross-cutting learning agendas with teams across FP2020 and among broader body of stakeholders.
- Maintain awareness of emerging innovative learning and knowledge sharing opportunities and 'package' them for internal and external use.
- Document successes and use them to inform stakeholders of emerging effective practices.
- Participate in partner meetings and maintain strong relationships with partners.
- Facilitate, encourage, and create an environment in support of open communication and knowledge sharing.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, seeking to understand the ideas of others.
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Help with strategic planning for the communications team and take a leadership role in implementing related activities.
- Step above immediate concerns to see the 'big picture' and prioritize important connections among FP2020 partners and stakeholders.
- Take lead in tracking and reporting on communications team’s workplan and impact.
- Identify, define, and analyze information, situations, and problems.
- Provide oversight projects and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Help provide oversight of annual progress report production.
- Assume primary responsibility for layout, design, and branding of FP2020 materials and products, working internally or with vendors.
- Backstop Communications Director on program and project management, including taking a significant role in the production and launch of the FP2020 Annual Progress Report.
- Use graphic design skills to create collateral products such as newsletters, templates for slide decks, fact sheets, etc.
- Facilitate and run active webinar program for Secretariat; ensure that webinars are interesting, well-advertised, produced, and attended, and relevant.
- Facilitate internal best practice sharing sessions.
- Help staff create presentations and talking points for external audiences.
- Write blogs, fact sheets, digital content, articles, and speeches.
- Responsible for working with vendors to translate materials into French as needed.
- As needed, attend conferences and meetings.
For full-time employees we offer an excellent range of benefits, including a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP), dental insurance, vision discount plan, Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Long-Term Care Insurance, Health Club Discounts, Commuter Benefits, and Employee Assistance Program.
12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father), access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, and discounted Zipcar membership.
- Strong background in all aspects of communications.
- 5-7 years of experience in a related field, preferably in communications and/or project management.
- Ability to do basic graphic design and layout.
- Strong French language skills required; fluency desired.
- Demonstrated capacity to build rapport and develop trust with diverse constituencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and engagement skills, combined with a user-centric, “customer service” mentality.
- Strong project management skills and track record of delivering quality products within tight deadlines.
- Evidence of supporting the delivery of policies/projects/programs across multiple-teams or across departments.
- Knowledge of design programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, and product and project management tools, such as Trello and Smartsheet.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing women’s and girls’ rights desired.
- Good analysis, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Comfortable with ambiguity: adept at answering complicated questions.
- Diplomacy, tact, and understanding of others’ priorities to achieve common goals.
- Ability to consistently deliver high caliber work under pressure, manage a high volume of requests, and handle stress effectively.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness schedule, and ability to meet off-work hours, as needed, given different time zones in which audiences reside.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Willingness to travel internationally as necessary.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.